Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New York/Manhattan/Brooklyn

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

New York/Manhattan/Brooklyn

Post by atomeyes »

We're heading to NYC in August.
I have a feeling we'll be spending most of our time in Brooklyn. We're staying 10 min from the Brooklyn Bridge.
Spyuten Devul's on our to-do list, but I'm wondering if there are any pubs or beer stores that we can add to our list.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

atomeyes wrote:We're heading to NYC in August.
I have a feeling we'll be spending most of our time in Brooklyn. We're staying 10 min from the Brooklyn Bridge.
Spyuten Devul's on our to-do list, but I'm wondering if there are any pubs or beer stores that we can add to our list.
Not a pub or store, but the Happy Hour at the brooklyn brewery is a total blast. Tons of cheap beer to try (in full sized cups). Plus delivery menu's all over the place so if you are hungry you can order yourself a pizza to be delivered.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Last fall we were in NYC for three days. We did a Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn for the brewery tour (not much of a tour due to renos) and drinking there and a late lunch at Fette Sau BBQ (waste of time, such a slow line.)

If you head over to Manhattan, we had a really great brunch at Spitzer's Corner near the Williamsburg Bridge. The truffle mac & cheese was fantastic and the beer lineup was great too. Russ & Daughters is nearby. The other must is Rattle 'n Hum. Just be aware that if there's a live band playing it's uncomfortably fucking loud in there. The beer lineup at Gingerman is great but we didn't like the atmosphere. When we eventually go back to NYC we'll try Gingerman again but earlier in the week.
lister

BigLuke78

Post by BigLuke78 »

The craft beer tour is a must! http://www.urbanoyster.com/tours.html It was really informative and a lot of fun. When we went in October 2011, it began at Muggs which had a great selection.

Barcade is a wicked venue with a great selection in Brooklyn and a short walk from Spuyten and Fette Sau (which we LOVED). We ended up at Spuyten and Barcade two nights out of 4 in NYC.
Beer me!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

yeah, not sure if a $60/person beer tour is what we had in mind.

BigLuke78

Post by BigLuke78 »

Definitely hit barcade.
Beer me!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Blind Tiger is cute. Hop Duevil Grill (sp?) was my favourite hangout in NYC when I went there in 2007. It had Old Horizontal and Khunhenn Fourth Dimentia on tap =)

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

ok, not to hijack this post, but I'm also headed to brooklyn this summer. It'll be my wife and I, so I'll want this to be a military style operation. I'll need that 1 liquor store that I can go to that will be guaranteed to have the good stuff to fill my suitcase on the way home. Also, shouldn't be out of the way. Does this exist?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BrausBackinTown wrote:ok, not to hijack this post, but I'm also headed to brooklyn this summer. It'll be my wife and I, so I'll want this to be a military style operation. I'll need that 1 liquor store that I can go to that will be guaranteed to have the good stuff to fill my suitcase on the way home. Also, shouldn't be out of the way. Does this exist?
My rule of thumb when in the US is when you absolutely want to find good beer but don't have the time to find obscure places, is to go to Whole Foods. They're all over the place and always have a good selection of craft beer.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Cass wrote:
BrausBackinTown wrote:ok, not to hijack this post, but I'm also headed to brooklyn this summer. It'll be my wife and I, so I'll want this to be a military style operation. I'll need that 1 liquor store that I can go to that will be guaranteed to have the good stuff to fill my suitcase on the way home. Also, shouldn't be out of the way. Does this exist?
My rule of thumb when in the US is when you absolutely want to find good beer but don't have the time to find obscure places, is to go to Whole Foods. They're all over the place and always have a good selection of craft beer.
The big Whole Foods at Houston and Bowery has a great beer room.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

phirleh wrote:
Cass wrote:
The big Whole Foods at Houston and Bowery has a great beer room.
Around the corner and down the street a little from the Beer Room at this Whole Foods is New Beer Distributors. It's dark and dingy but will have better prices and a slightly different selection than Whole Foods. I'd suggest going here first... and head up to Whole Foods after to pick up anything you may have missed.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

lister wrote:Last fall we were in NYC for three days. We did a Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn for the brewery tour (not much of a tour due to renos) and drinking there and a late lunch at Fette Sau BBQ (waste of time, such a slow line.)

If you head over to Manhattan, we had a really great brunch at Spitzer's Corner near the Williamsburg Bridge. The truffle mac & cheese was fantastic and the beer lineup was great too. Russ & Daughters is nearby. The other must is Rattle 'n Hum. Just be aware that if there's a live band playing it's uncomfortably fucking loud in there. The beer lineup at Gingerman is great but we didn't like the atmosphere. When we eventually go back to NYC we'll try Gingerman again but earlier in the week.
Spitzer's Corner is awesome... must go if in the area. Food is great and the beer lineup is pretty awesome. Not too far from New Beer Distributors actually.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

iguenard wrote:Blind Tiger is cute. Hop Duevil Grill (sp?) was my favourite hangout in NYC when I went there in 2007. It had Old Horizontal and Khunhenn Fourth Dimentia on tap =)
Blind Tiger might be my favorite spot to grab a beer in NYC. It's really small though and can get pretty busy. Always an awesome beer lineup - and the guys/gals behind the bar are awesome... sample whatever you want before you buy it. Also, best fucking hot wings ever. Hot though, watch out.

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

Cass wrote:
thanks! would they have rare, get down on your knees and pray world class stuff, or just world class stuff? either is good, but just curious.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

BrausBackinTown wrote:
Cass wrote:
thanks! would they have rare, get down on your knees and pray world class stuff, or just world class stuff? either is good, but just curious.
When I was there in 1999, I picked up a Unibroue Terrible that I later saw had a manufacture date of 2007 - so some beer can be pre-aged :wink:
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/