Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Spring Oddity

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Muskoka Spring Oddity

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Had this last night at The Ship.
$7.00 for a small glass. Usually they serve these types of beers up in the regular 20 oz pints, but for some reason, this one comes in a smaller serving. Anyway....

It is only slightly hazed, and fairly bright straw yellow, and poured a billowing bleached white creamy foam.
It is very fruity with some tropical notes alongside yeast, and floral spice.
It is quite boozy and sweet but has a nice bitterness and spicy finish. Reminds me of a tripel but they are calling it something else. No matter, it is a good beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Great review, Len. Surprisingly the pub beside my apartment has it on tap, so I plan to try it tonight. Sounds like a pretty solid Tripel/BSPA. I'll report back with my thoughts!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I found it boozy too, but still quite liked it...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Found a 750 bottle today in Waterloo. Agree with the notes of the first post in that it tastes like a triple. Label says 8%. The head doesn't stick around like it would on a triple... Maybe just the use of Belgian yeast as it states on the label?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

rating from rb:
750ml bottle from the LCBO. pale clear golden with a white head. warm fermented belgian yeast eating candied sugar with juniper, nose. fermented candy sugar bleeding into lean pilsner malt with juniper berry and hop bitterness in the finish. really nice beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:Great review, Len. Surprisingly the pub beside my apartment has it on tap, so I plan to try it tonight. Sounds like a pretty solid Tripel/BSPA. I'll report back with my thoughts!

Thank you my friend. I hope you enjoyed your pint. I had another tonight, alongside the mill street red beard or whatever it is called. Both nice brews overall!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Had a taster glass of the draft at Beer Bistro and pegged it as a Belgian style immediately. Based on the comments above, it appears this is the intention of the brewer (i.e., per the label of the bottled version).

Excellent beer and better IMO than most Belgians I've had of the type.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

FYI, this is starting to show in the LCBO system:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=290973
as well as the Beer Store:
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/muskoka-spring-oddity
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

If the ingredients list candied sugar, and yeast, does that mean it's bottle conditioned?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Probably not, for it to be bottle conditioned you would look for terms such as "Ale on lees/yeast" or "Bottle Re-fermented"

Candi Sugar can be used for bottle conditioning but is likely to be used to add alcohol without increasing body, and beer will always have yeast unless its been filtered with 0.5 micron filters
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

icemachine wrote:Probably not, for it to be bottle conditioned you would look for terms such as "Ale on lees/yeast" or "Bottle Re-fermented"

Candi Sugar can be used for bottle conditioning but is likely to be used to add alcohol without increasing body, and beer will always have yeast unless its been filtered with 0.5 micron filters
But if there's an excess of both, then that would be bottle-conditioning, no?

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Candy sugar is used in the boil to help dry it out, and can add colour as well as flavor. A staple in Belgian brewing.

Picking some up after work.. very glad they dropped the price on this seasonal.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Having my first taste from a bottle - I'm not a huge fan of tripels, or BSPAs, but I have to say this is pretty good. Still tastes pretty boozy to me, but then all tripels taste boozy to me.

The finish is a bit harsh for me, and that may be the booze or the bitterness from the herbs.

The aroma is wonderful. I think I'd rather sniff it than drink it, actually. The smell is an herby, but also sweet (like candy amazingly).

Probably a fun beer to bring to parties with "non-beer folk".

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Yes, at first the Oddity tastes like a tripel but more similar to a La Fin Du Monde or a Charlevoix type of tripel due to the spices. I did not enjoy the caramel/toffee hop profile in this beer. At the end, it tastes more like a spiced up British IPA to me. Maybe the sushi I had just before the Oddity didn't do justice to it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

We've long complained about lack of beer styles in Ontario, and Belgian styles in particular are non-existent. So this is another good sign yes?

Props to beers like Muskoka Mad Tom IPA, Amsterdam Tempest RIS and Bellwoods Saison, beers which look the part to inspire what's missing in our brew scene.
In Beerum Veritas