Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal vs. Premier Gourmet

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

So it occurred to me that my one and only trip to PG was almost three years ago, and I am itching for another beer road trip. I have decided that my options are Montreal and PG.

Economically it make more sense to go to Montreal (I think) since I won't get dinged for the taxes and what not on the way back.
Staying overnight in Montreal might balance out the costs a bit... Could always sleep in the van or hostel it I guess. Thoughts? What are the best places in Montreal to pick up lots of single bottles without having to visit each brewery? I gather that a lot of peope here have done both.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

JerCraigs,

There is 2 one-stop shops I would recommend to you:

Le Gobelet in Vaudreuil
78, rue Valois
Vaudreuil-Dorion

Metro Joannette
349 De L'église
http://www.bieropholie.com/brewww/PDV/J ... /index.htm

As for hotels, I would say your best bet is Hotel du Nouveau Forum (75$), the Lord Berri or the Taj Mahal (close to L'Amère à Boire)...B&B are not too expansive also.

Luc

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Premier & Montreal are two totally different fish.

The selection at Premier is outstanding and better than anything I've seen anywhere in Canada. In Montreal you'll find many good Quebec micros and, I understand, some great brewpubs (I'll find out for sure next week)

Overall, however, Montreal would probably cost more money when you take into consideration meals, accommodations, gas, and so on. And, really, there is only so much beer you can bring back from Premier, especially when you consider exchange, duty, and legal limits.

There is, however, a festival this weekend in Rochester. If you can find someone to chauffeur you, it would only cost $15 US plus gas.

Cheers, Joe.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Well, after perusing the BarTowel report on Montreal brewpubs, and drooling over the link Lubiere posted I am looking forward to a trip to Montreal. Probably not till September or October though (I have to see how some other things sort themselves out). Im hoping to bring the gf and a few more guys to spread the gas and hotel costs around.

I loved PG and will go back sometime (hopefully) soon. But the taxes are a pain. It occurred to me: What if you receive alcohol items as a gift? Do you still pay GST etc? How bout if you are given a giftwrapped present and "don't know" the contents? (Not that I would advocate such deceipt of course)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JerCraigs on 2003-08-02 11:39 ]</font>

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It goes without saying that you'll have a better "beer experience" in Montreal than Buffalo. My report is out of date; since I wrote it 2 more brewpubs have opened up (Reservoir & 3 Brasseurs).

The Metro Joannette is a great place, although not as impressive as Premier. It's the best place for Quebecoise beers, but Quebec has a lesser selection than imports overall than Ontario. So if you're interested in trying some interesting Quebec beers, it'll be a great trip, and less cost and hassle than going to Buffalo (man I hate going through customs!). I went to MTL myself last weekend and easily spent $100 on various Quebec beers.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Any and all alcoholic beverages coming into Ontario are subect to LCBO mark-ups and all applicable taxes, etc....so the gift angle won't work.