Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

matt7215 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:03 am dealing with this market is a nightmare, thats why you dont see many widely distributed brands here
In addition to missing Rouge, I miss Southern Tier too.
lister

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Anyone 'member when they brought in some Dogfish Head 60? It was the greatest summer our lives...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

shintriad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm Anyone 'member when they brought in some Dogfish Head 60? It was the greatest summer our lives...
I think that may have been the first ‘beer frenzy’ in Ontario. Everyone running around searching for it and posting up on BT the locations they found…good times!

This led to the frenzy of Westy 12, and I’ve thought since that there isn’t another beer on the earth that would ever cause that to happen again in Ontario.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

shintriad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm Anyone 'member when they brought in some Dogfish Head 60? It was the greatest summer our lives...
I remember seeing it at Morningside and Kingston but at the time I was still drinking Old Milwaukee :cry:

Edit: probably was drinking Cameron's Auburn Ale by then

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

I sure 'member the price: $12 for six. :o 17 years ago, spring 2006, wow. And then after all that the LCBO rejected it for the General List! :x

I find I'm really missing English beer these days. Fuller's 1845, Sam Smith's Winter Welcome...
Here's to the slow path.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Wheatsheaf wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:34 pm Sam Smith's Winter Welcome...
Miss that one big time! Not sure if it’s a function of getting older, but I definitely yearn for good “simpler” beers instead of crazy stuff. Although I still like a good hazy, I’d welcome nice British and U.S. ales & traditional IPAs around.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Wheatsheaf wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:34 pm
I sure 'member the price: $12 for six. :o 17 years ago, spring 2006, wow. And then after all that the LCBO rejected it for the General List! :x

I find I'm really missing English beer these days. Fuller's 1845, Sam Smith's Winter Welcome...

Same here, I really miss having Fullers here….although to be fair, it hadn’t tasted quite the same the last year or two.
I’d love them to bring in Sam Smiths on a regular basis, as well as Landlord(it seemed to sell well last year when it was here).
Clifford has just released their ESB at the LCBO and it’s really quite good. I was also impressed with the High Park’s Across the Pond ESB which I had recently.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I swear Rogue Dead Guy Ale was still kicking around here until just recently, it seems to show up on and off. Definitely a beer I enjoy when it shows up, because honestly, how many breweries offer a year-round flagship maibock? Definitely a few others mentioned here that are bringing back fond memories, Anchor for sure, Liberty was one of my favourite all around beers for some time.

I've reverted to simpler styles too, largely skipping the fanciful and experimental stuff, but rather going for well made pale ales, lagers and other old world styles. Luckily enough local breweries seem to be on the same wavelength these days, lots of great stuff being put out, but I too miss a number of the names mentioned here; Fullers, Samuel Smith, etc. At least one thing that hasn't waivered is the Belgian imports though. For all my gripes the LCBO does an excellent job there, and it seems that even Orval is back full time. I came across a 2022 date code recently, meaning they've brought it in at least 3 times since returning in 2020.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun on the Lambiek Fabriek that is/isn't coming to the LCBO. No longer listed as coming soon. I also don't see it on the LCBO site.

Loons may be coming to another provincial liquor control board via lottery on March 23.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

lister wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm
matt7215 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:03 am dealing with this market is a nightmare, thats why you dont see many widely distributed brands here
That was a fun time.

I miss doing the private orders. My favourite was ordering cases of Great Divide Titan and Hercules. Those beers blew me away back then.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

El Pinguino wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:56 am I miss doing the private orders. My favourite was ordering cases of Great Divide Titan and Hercules. Those beers blew me away back then.
2006 - seems like ancient history: viewtopic.php?p=18110

Feels like we were all way more excited about the possibility of beery things back then....spoiled by what we have locally, or generally less "grass is greener" sentiment around beer I suppose.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:21 pm 2006 - seems like ancient history: viewtopic.php?p=18110
"5) Mail your completed forms to:" :D

Cass wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:21 pm Feels like we were all way more excited about the possibility of beery things back then....spoiled by what we have locally.
For sure, it's a whole different world now. So many times in recent years I've had a new IPA that was fine, but I've thought if I had tried this beer back many years ago, I would have been blown away.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

seangm wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:49 am
Cass wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:10 pm

And Destihl comes to Ontario! Would not have guessed that.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/destihl-haze-of ... -ipa-29592
i could not tell canning date but was guessing it was already months old on the shelf. so hazy yes but not fresh. Besides GTA does world class hazy now
Reliable Beer Critic

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Cass wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:24 pm
I think that may have been the first ‘beer frenzy’ in Ontario. Everyone running around searching for it and posting up on BT the locations they found…good times!

This led to the frenzy of Westy 12, and I’ve thought since that there isn’t another beer on the earth that would ever cause that to happen again in Ontario.
Ha! Remember it clearly. I drove to Etobicoke to buy 24. I probably haven't bought a 2-4 of anything, ever, since. Good times!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

El Pinguino wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:56 am
lister wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm
That was a fun time.

I miss doing the private orders. My favourite was ordering cases of Great Divide Titan and Hercules. Those beers blew me away back then.
A certain highly respected Eastern Ontario brewer dealing out of his trunk at Toronto's best craft beer emporium. Loved it!