Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Stone FML is tasting great! It has a nice dank, resinous and piney bitterness that's scratching my west coast itch. Can date Jan 5th could be worse.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

My local in Georgetown just got stock so I will check it out. Cheers!

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Speaking of old favourites, the Péché Mortel is hitting the shelves again.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/dieu-du-ciel-peche-mortel-30661

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

midlife crisis wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 pm
El Pinguino wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:56 am
lister wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm

In addition to missing Rouge, I miss Southern Tier too.
That was a fun time.

I miss doing the private orders. My favourite was ordering cases of Great Divide Titan and Hercules. Those beers blew me away back then.
A certain highly respected Eastern Ontario brewer dealing out of his trunk at Toronto's best craft beer emporium. Loved it!
The TK was certainly the most unusual beer pickup; I think the Hair Of The Dog might be the most memorable though. :o

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I believe I still have a TK or two at the very back of the cellar. They have long since gone "off" though, unfortunately.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

midlife crisis wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 pm I believe I still have a TK or two at the very back of the cellar. They have long since gone "off" though, unfortunately.
Probably a wonderful rhapsody of flavour compared to my sole surviving Sam Adams Triple Bock.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

ry_kinney wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:08 pm Stone FML is tasting great! It has a nice dank, resinous and piney bitterness that's scratching my west coast itch. Can date Jan 5th could be worse.
I agree with you. Not just another juice bomb. It kind of out me in mind of the original Amsterdam Fracture

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

skaghevn wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 pm Speaking of old favourites, the Péché Mortel is hitting the shelves again.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/dieu-du-ciel-peche-mortel-30661
That is great news, it’s been far too long.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

What great news to start the week, Peche is still one of my all time favourite Canadian beers. I can't even remember the last time it showed up in the LCBO, it's got to have been years.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:21 pm What great news to start the week, Peche is still one of my all time favourite Canadian beers. I can't even remember the last time it showed up in the LCBO, it's got to have been years.
LCBO listing says 473ml can for Peche - that's a big one!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a Bellwoods A Stout with Coffee (https://www.lcbo.com/en/bellwoods-brewe ... ffee-30366) the other day and thought it strongly resembled my memory of Peche. Possibly a little stronger on the coffee and a little more approachable at 5%. Reminded me why I grew to love that brewery back in the day.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Craig wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 pm I had a Bellwoods A Stout with Coffee (https://www.lcbo.com/en/bellwoods-brewe ... ffee-30366) the other day and thought it strongly resembled my memory of Peche. Possibly a little stronger on the coffee and a little more approachable at 5%. Reminded me why I grew to love that brewery back in the day.
I wasn't a fan of this beer for petty much the reasons you've stated: At a higher abv I feel like the coffee wouldn't overpower the beer, but as it it's too much coffee and not enough malt to hold it together. For my tastes...
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:21 pm What great news to start the week, Peche is still one of my all time favourite Canadian beers. I can't even remember the last time it showed up in the LCBO, it's got to have been years.
I missed that! Five bucks is a pretty solid deal for a tall can of Peche.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Craig wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 pm I had a Bellwoods A Stout with Coffee (https://www.lcbo.com/en/bellwoods-brewe ... ffee-30366) the other day and thought it strongly resembled my memory of Peche. Possibly a little stronger on the coffee and a little more approachable at 5%. Reminded me why I grew to love that brewery back in the day.
I'm glad you guys will get to try some of the best of what Quebec has, but I found that Bellwoods to be pretty sweet for my tastes.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:31 am
Cass wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 pm
I missed that! Five bucks is a pretty solid deal for a tall can of Peche.
Solid deal indeed, especially when Bellwoods wants $8 for the equivalent beer (10% imperial) or same price ($5) for the 5% coffee stout
@markhamwhisky