Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

]any confirmation that this is actually happening?
No real confirmation, the product (Timothy Taylor Landlord) is listed as an item here:

https://static-proxy.lcbo.com/content/d ... T8_TRO.pdf

Gives a product # 21059 and confirms it is 500 ml size.

However, the seasonals listed with it like Gonzo Porter have been available for weeks. We'll see if this is a no show after all or perhaps a surprise February release.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Timothy Taylor Landlord actually appears on LCBO page so here's hoping:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... tId=818001

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That link didn't work for me, but I found it here:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... YvczWDMJPY

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

The Timothy Taylor listing just went up along with a couple other interesting ones:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... YwNs2DMKUk

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... YwNwWDMKUk

I've enjoyed Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout the times I've had it, so I imagine their imperial nitro stout will be especially good.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm very much looking forward to grabbing some of that Deschutes! I'm kind of missing that more Ontario brewers don't do "traditional" winter ales or winter warmers. Feeling nostalgic for those styles this year.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote:Picked up this year's Amsterdam Flight Pack as it contains Tempest. However it also contains their Kerstmis Bier doppelbock with retro graphics, from what I can find this is a resurrection of a discontinued beer from the early 2000s. Amsterdam is funny in that I can't find any mention of it on their website or social media, but it's in the pack.

Curious if anyone remembers that one, it's a bit before my craft beer drinking days.

Edit: Upon closer inspection now that I'm home, it seems they've revived the name and label but it's now a 10.5% Belgian-style dark ale brewed with curacao orange and spices. Either way, sounds interesting.
I remember Kerstmis! Feels like from the same era as Dogbolter. I saw that on the LCBO site and also went looking for it on their site, but nothing. Odd.

Edit: I Googled Kerstmis Beer and of course found an old page on Bar Towel. Here's what it said about the Amsterdam beers of yore. It's so wild that back then a brewery would release a new beer on an annual basis.
The store offers merchandise, and of course beer, in single bottles available for any combination or number of mixing in 6, 12 and 24 packs. Two of their beers, Natural Blonde and Nut Brown Ale, are also available in LCBO and Beer Stores, but their other brands are on-site only, and they are the most interesting of their beers. They are: Natural Light and Dutch Amberand the locally-famous Framboise. Amsterdam has also been known to produce some seasonals, including: Spring Bock, Oktoberfest, Wheat Beer, and Kerstmis Bier.

In 1999, Amsterdam unveiled a new beer (available in draught and bottled at the brewery), Dogbolter. This interestingly-named brew existed once during the old brewpub days, was brought to life for the new millennium. This beer has since been discontinued.

In 2000, Amsterdam unveiled another new brew, a strong lager named Avalanche.

Another beer has been released in 2001, a throwback to the brewpub days. Scotch Ale, an always anticipated winter seasonal from the Rotterdam, has been revived by the Amsterdam. It is now available in bottles at the brewery.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote:I'm very much looking forward to grabbing some of that Deschutes! I'm kind of missing that more Ontario brewers don't do "traditional" winter ales or winter warmers. Feeling nostalgic for those styles this year.
Second Wedge had a "Spice Factory Winter Warmer" last year. I wasn't able to get any, so I don't know how it was. It's available this year in their Trail Mix Pack.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Apparently the Mexican spice version of Yeti is coming to the lcbo

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote:
seangm wrote:Picked up this year's Amsterdam Flight Pack as it contains Tempest. However it also contains their Kerstmis Bier doppelbock with retro graphics, from what I can find this is a resurrection of a discontinued beer from the early 2000s. Amsterdam is funny in that I can't find any mention of it on their website or social media, but it's in the pack.

Curious if anyone remembers that one, it's a bit before my craft beer drinking days.

Edit: Upon closer inspection now that I'm home, it seems they've revived the name and label but it's now a 10.5% Belgian-style dark ale brewed with curacao orange and spices. Either way, sounds interesting.
I remember Kerstmis! Feels like from the same era as Dogbolter. I saw that on the LCBO site and also went looking for it on their site, but nothing. Odd.

Edit: I Googled Kerstmis Beer and of course found an old page on Bar Towel. Here's what it said about the Amsterdam beers of yore. It's so wild that back then a brewery would release a new beer on an annual basis.
The store offers merchandise, and of course beer, in single bottles available for any combination or number of mixing in 6, 12 and 24 packs. Two of their beers, Natural Blonde and Nut Brown Ale, are also available in LCBO and Beer Stores, but their other brands are on-site only, and they are the most interesting of their beers. They are: Natural Light and Dutch Amberand the locally-famous Framboise. Amsterdam has also been known to produce some seasonals, including: Spring Bock, Oktoberfest, Wheat Beer, and Kerstmis Bier.

In 1999, Amsterdam unveiled a new beer (available in draught and bottled at the brewery), Dogbolter. This interestingly-named brew existed once during the old brewpub days, was brought to life for the new millennium. This beer has since been discontinued.

In 2000, Amsterdam unveiled another new brew, a strong lager named Avalanche.

Another beer has been released in 2001, a throwback to the brewpub days. Scotch Ale, an always anticipated winter seasonal from the Rotterdam, has been revived by the Amsterdam. It is now available in bottles at the brewery.
It's certainly unbelievable how the craft beer landscape has changed; now we get new beers weekly! I agree about the Deschutes, will be nice to see a traditional winter warmer. I used to look forward to Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, but unfortunately it hasn't been around for a few years now.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote:It's certainly unbelievable how the craft beer landscape has changed; now we get new beers weekly! I agree about the Deschutes, will be nice to see a traditional winter warmer. I used to look forward to Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, but unfortunately it hasn't been around for a few years now.
Indeed, I'm having a hankering for some traditional winter warmers this year for sure. I saw in the winter Food & Drink that St-Feuillien Cuvee de Noel is coming to stores.

I saw Sam Adams announce that Old Fezziwig was coming back - I remember that from a million years ago when it got an LCBO release. Would love to try that one again!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Yeah , I remember in the old pre-covid days when we would head over to the States to do some Christmas shopping I would make a point of hitting Wegmans and just buy Christmas beers. That way you knew they were fresh!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

For all the Timothy Taylor fans, it's at a handful of stores now including Laird & Eglinton.

The Deschutes is there too according to the LCBO website. Not bad considering the listing only went up last week.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have seen some of the chatter about Timothy Taylor and I have to admit I didn't realize it had such a reputation.

Very much looking forward to that Jubelale!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:I have seen some of the chatter about Timothy Taylor and I have to admit I didn't realize it had such a reputation.

probably a combination of the beers reputation and the complete lack of proper English beer at both the lcbo and in Ontario in general

anybody other then Granite still doing well made English Ales?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:I have seen some of the chatter about Timothy Taylor and I have to admit I didn't realize it had such a reputation.

probably a combination of the beers reputation and the complete lack of proper English beer at both the lcbo and in Ontario in general

anybody other then Granite still doing well made English Ales?

I’d completely agree with this statement.
A pint of Landlord on cask is maybe the most enjoyable
Beer I’ve ever drank.
They really are few and far between being made here, and even decent imports have been less and less the last couple years.
Welly still puts them out occasionally, and they brought back the Arkel best in store. I always make a point of picking up some Iron Duke when they bring it back.
I still enjoy Neustadt brown ale but I admit I rarely see it anywhere.
The Death Dealer Porter that Third Moon did, about this time last year was really good.