Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Just noticed that Founders Backwards Bastard is back on the LCBO site. No inventory.

Anyone know is this is coming back?

Please, please. I love this beer.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Philip1 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:46 pm Has anyone seen Collective Arts Saint of Circumstance lately? Neither my local TBS, LCBOs, or supermarkets have had it for what seems like half a year now. Even on the Collective Arts website it is one of the beers that doesn't have a "Shop Now" link for ordering suggesting it is no longer available even at the brewery.
I thought it was effectively replaced by Matter of Fact; fairly certain I saw as much mentioned on their social media a while back.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cfrancis wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 pm Just noticed that Founders Backwards Bastard is back on the LCBO site. No inventory.

It is a great beer. I’d be glad to see it back as well.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

seangm wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:05 pm
Philip1 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:46 pm Has anyone seen Collective Arts Saint of Circumstance lately? Neither my local TBS, LCBOs, or supermarkets have had it for what seems like half a year now. Even on the Collective Arts website it is one of the beers that doesn't have a "Shop Now" link for ordering suggesting it is no longer available even at the brewery.
I thought it was effectively replaced by Matter of Fact; fairly certain I saw as much mentioned on their social media a while back.
Thanks. I like Matter of Fact but prefer Saint of Circumstance. Disappointing.

Since Founders has been mentioned I was really hoping they'd bring back the hoppy PC Pils, which now has a new name. Also, when I was in Milan in 2019 I went into some pub to watch a Liverpool match and was surprised to see Founders' All Day IPA on tap. It's not a style I normally drink but I enjoyed that one. It always annoys me when I go to Europe and see beers from neighbouring American states that I can't get here in ON.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Picked up a couple 500 ml cans of Lagunitas IPA at the LCBO, little more convenient than cans and I noticed that is was brewed in The Netherlands. I knew a lot of breweries were expanding overseas but to brew the beer and ship back to Canada seems different. Anyone tried and can compare Lagunitas USA made and Lagunitas Netherlands made?

$3.10 for a 500 ml can seems fair?

https://www.lcbo.com/en/lagunitas-ipa-26164

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Willibald now has a listing in the LCBO.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/willibald-export-lager-30289

I haven't had anything from them before. This is an interesting one as it is a lager, but clocks in at 6.5%

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I like that beer a lot.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Seconded.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Yep that is a tasty beer.
They make really good ipas…but I have to say I’m glad they didn’t go that route for their first LCBO listing. Nice to see more quality local lagers sneaking in there. The selection is actually becoming pretty good.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

This one's been on my to-try list for a while, happy to see it's coming to the LCBO. Also, agreed re. IPAs at the LCBO; we have enough. Also, IPAs like the ones Willibald makes are much better bought fresh from the brewery. I find a lot of the NE/hazy leaning listings at the LCBO are hit-and-miss if the stock isn't turned over fast enough. Bellwoods and GLB are pretty good as they control their shipments to ensure turnover, but I've seen a lot of IPAs languishing on those shelves.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I definitely saw the Export Lager in the LCBO last summer, but maybe that was just because I'm pretty local to the brewery.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:32 pm I definitely saw the Export Lager in the LCBO last summer, but maybe that was just because I'm pretty local to the brewery.
Yea I've definitely noticed seemingly regional LCBO listings before. A brewery out my way, Chronicle, has a listing but it's really only available at Durham Region LCBOs. Here's hoping the Willibald listing has wider availability this time!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Mill St 1 in 12 Phantasm NEIPA

This isn't that new, I'm not really sure when it appeared, but just thought I would bring to attention for the reason behind it. Here is a link explaining it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cfrancis wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 pm Just noticed that Founders Backwards Bastard is back on the LCBO site. No inventory.

It’s in store now. I just grabbed a few bottles today(Guelph)

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Wavemaker has their Lagerbier listed in the LCBO; no inventory yet. They describe it as a Franconian-style lager which was just discussed on the Elora Brewing thread.

From the Wavemaker website:

Pouring a hazy golden yellow, this unfiltered, Franconian-style lager is very expressive while maintaining a very smooth, easy drinking finish. Plenty of fruity yeast esters present from a warmer-than-usual lager fermentation, finishing very crisp.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am The other is this one: https://elorabrewingco.myshopify.com/co ... n-landbier A Franconian Landbier. What is a Franconian Landbier? I admit I had no idea when this popped up. From looking it up, it seems to just be a very loosely defined style/naming convention adopted in the German countryside. I'm expecting something darker than a Kellerbier but lighter than a Dunkel or Marzen. I'm also expecting it to be unfiltered and hoppier than neighbouring styles. Anyone know more about this style than I do? I got all that from 5 minutes on Google.
seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am As far as Landbiers, I've had precisely one actual German landbier from Privatbrauerei Einsiedler. It was filtered and definitely more commercial, but right as you described between a kellerbier and dunkel with regards to malt. It was coppery in colour with a solid malty backbone and touch of fruitiness. Hop character was present, actually a bit earthy. It seems to be a rustic lager but open to interpretation, as some other commercial German landbiers are a lighter golden, looking closer to a kellerbier or even helles.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what to expect is a bit of a mystery lol