Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Separated at birth?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Separated at birth?

Post by Tapsucker »

Much has been said about about Trafalgar and infected beers. I'm starting to think Les Trois Mousquetaires is the Quebec equivalent. I have had so many exploding bottles from these guys. Different beers, some sourced in Montreal, some at the LCBO.

There must be some sort of quality problem there. I had four bottles of their IPA that I brought back in January. Two geysered, one didn't. The fourth sat in my fridge until tonight. Even gingerly opening it over the sink made a mess.

During this period, two bottles of oktoberfest that have sat in my fridge for months (that shouldn't be that bad for them) also opened violently. Oh, and a keller last summer also blew on me. As far as I know, these beers are not bottle conditioned, so I'll take it as sloppy craftsmanship, not my storage.

Also some of these were corked and some were capped. I don't think it was the packaging.

It's a shame, the beers are good on tap, perhaps with a bartender to clean up the mess. Only some of the bottles were drinkable.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

That comparison is extremely unfair to LTM.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I got slammed for slamming infected LTM Doppelbock and Maibock last spring.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I've had dozens of theirs and never one problem.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Are they infected? Or is that just their yeast?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Do they even bottle an IPA? Never seen it. They have an American Pale Ale, do you mean that? Not that it really matters. Just curious.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I've never had any issue with LTM.

I used to get regular bottles & big bottles when I lived in Alberta with no problem. I brought back bottles from AB to ON when I moved, and those had no problem. I've had other peoples bottles they got in QC with no problems. I got a private order case a couple of years ago from Keep6 with no problems. Every bottle I've had from the recent LCBO released had no problem.

I'm not saying you haven't had issues, but I am pointing out that I've been buying/consuming from this brewery for 5+ years, from multiple points of purchase, without a single issue. I think the Trafalgar comparison is WAY off base.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I have had several infected bottles in years past. Way less than Trafalgar, but more than just an isolated bottle. All were bought in Calgary from 2010-2012. I have not bought any this year from the LCBO, so I can't comment on those. From my experience, the bad bottles do seem to come in waves a few bottles/labels at a time and then clear up for quite a while in between.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

rejtable wrote:Do they even bottle an IPA? Never seen it. They have an American Pale Ale, do you mean that? Not that it really matters. Just curious.
Yes, sorry APA.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Well, yes, the comparison with Trafalgar was a bit harsh. I'll take that back.

If it was a one-off situation, I probably would not have posted, but it has happened to me over several batches and different beers. Since I don't buy that much of their beer, it's a pretty high percentage and points to something being done wrong in my book.

Also, since they were several different styles, I would rule out their yeast.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I've also had many LTM and never a problem, although I probably haven't had any in the last year or so.

jprime

Post by jprime »

Drank a lot of LTM over the past many years. Never had a bad one of any of their styles. None infected, no gushers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Horseshoes for me I guess. Some guys have ll the luck with bottle volcanoes!
And Traf**gar doesn't even seem to care or respond, so yes - another league entirely.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

It was multiple cases of Maibock and Doppelbock this spring, every bottle was bad, would have been sourced via Alberta. The Maibock was hazy, gushed upon opening, and was peppery like a saison. The Doppelbock tasted like pickled cabbage.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I haven't had many LTM, but I've never had a problem. The 'issues' are too common though. As great as they are, I passed them over the last time I was at the Central City Liquor store... it was just too pricie to take the chance when there's other good stuff on the shelf.

I have really liked their lagers though, including the Baltic Porter!