Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anyone growing hops?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Mine are about a month ahead... They hit 10' a month ago and the centennial and Chinook have flowers.

I grew a Galena in a pot last year though, put it in the ground in the fall, and it just has little shoots. I put it in where a ripped out a lacklustre nugget... Now I'm starting to wonder if that bit of soil is contaminated with something?

Lots of sunshine in the Okanagan!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i just came back from vacation.
my 4th year wilamette is nice and healthy. at about 10 ft now and it's climbing across the horizontal trellis i built.
3rd year wilamette is at around 10 ft as well and moving horizontally.
Cascade in the front of my house is growing slowly as per usual. thinner bines but it's at 10 ft.
the transplanted wilammete that i dug up and planted 4 weeks ago has about a ft of growth and will be trellised after the weekend.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

10 feet is pretty good for this time of year. My 3rd year cascade is about 5 feet now. The 2nd year nugget is maybe 3 feet as is the 2nd year Centennial.

My 2nd year Columbus is only like a foot, and it's only got one big shoot. It struggled last year too.

I might have the Centennial and Columbus mixed up. I managed to lose track of which one I planted where.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:10 feet is pretty good for this time of year. My 3rd year cascade is about 5 feet now. The 2nd year nugget is maybe 3 feet as is the 2nd year Centennial.

My 2nd year Columbus is only like a foot, and it's only got one big shoot. It struggled last year too.
i'll take a picture of them some time on the weekend. last year, they managed to climb to the peak of my shed (8 feet?) and almost horizontally 15 feet. they're on track to repeat again this year. we have a deck underneath the trellis. it's really quite pretty to sit underneath the 2 twine strings and relax, especially when the hop cones are out.

growth, i'm guessing, is species specific. my cascade is not nearly as fast or as thick as the wilamette.
I might have the Centennial and Columbus mixed up. I managed to lose track of which one I planted where.
eat a leaf (a smaller, newer one). for me, cascade tastes more floral than the superbitter wilamette leaves

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't really have a reference point for what Centennial vs Columbus leaves should taste like though. Which should be more bitter?

I gather I should be able to tell from the color of the lupulin. Centennial should come in a bit darker.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:I don't really have a reference point for what Centennial vs Columbus leaves should taste like though. Which should be more bitter?

I gather I should be able to tell from the color of the lupulin. Centennial should come in a bit darker.
i don't have a reference point, but, at least with cascade, you can pick up the fruitiness and floralness when you first chew a cascade leaf. i assume the same with most hops - their hop profile is probably found in their leaves a bit. just a guess.