Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vancouver Updates

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

That's crazy. I haven't heard of (barely) any of them, and when I clicked on one of their websites they listed all the different private stores that sell the beer...a different world.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Decent chance I'll be in Vancouver for a few days at the end of the month. Any tips? I'll of course check out RB and BA for ideas, just wondering if anyone on here has anything to add?

Thanks!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm seriously impressed with the little I've had from Four Winds.

The industry just keeps growing... here's just the ones that do growler fills:
http://growlerfill.ca/location/ca/bc/vancouver

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Spent an awesome few days in Vancouver, beautiful city.

For beer...

- Alibi Room: easily one of Canada's best place to drink beer. Loved it. Great atmosphere, great service, very good taplist. A bit out of the way, but whatever, makes you want to stay longer!
- Biercraft Bistro: an ok spot up on Cambie. Bartender was a bit of a blowhard who insisted on telling me all the great spots in Ottawa, a place he last lived more than 10 years ago. But, he offered tons of samples and gave me some good tips for spots around town including telling me I had to visit...
- Brassneck brewery: pretty cool minimalst taproom. Very small, so I'm sure it would be hard to get a table for a group. As a loner, I found one easy. Beers were solid, service was good, place was lively.
- CRAFT Beer Market: in the Olympic Village. As with the other CRAFT spots, basically Canada's Yardhouse. Loved the building at this one, incredible re-purpose. More than a bit corporate, but service was fine, food was ok. Nothing bad to say about it.
- Backstage Lounge: if you are on Granville Island and want decent beer, this isn't a very exciting place (wasn't there during a music event), but decent taps including most of the big reational guys. Food was just ok, service was fine. Great patio if you get it on a nice day.
- Portland Craft: Pretty neat spot. Open, high ceilings. Reminded me a bit in decor to Stillwells on the other coast. Maybe 20 taps, all from PNW and some cool selections along with the usual big guys like Deschutes. Ok bottle list as well. Service was solid. The night I was there they had a game going where you pay something like $10 and you get a mystery bomber. They all were pretty good deals.

Bottles:
- Legacy Liquor: next to CRAFT, pretty solid beer selection, prices ranged from decent to very high.
- Firefly Liquor: up near Biercraft, same idea as above, but I think quite a bit smaller selection.
Last edited by rejtable on Tue May 12, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks for the update rejtable.
Will be in Vancouver for a bit at end of month to hit a VCBW event or two...hard to avoid Alibi Room, but may try to check out new spots this time around.

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Did a quick pass through Vancouver last week.

Alibi Room: Cool atmosphere, excellent tap list of 40-50 beers (and like the fact they indicate which kegs are 'on deck'). Foodwise the menu is small, but very well done. A few quirks as others have mentioned -- it's a tad isolated from the rest of Gastown, doesn't open till 5 on weekdays, upstairs is communal tables, and you can't get sampler trays downstairs. Still well worth the trip.

St. Augustine's: Reminded me a bit like Beer Revolution in CGY with the electronic keg status boards. Also 40-50 beers on tap. Good food menu with lots of choices. Also has TVs for catching the game. One plus: it's right next to the SkyTrain station so very easy to get there.

Quickly passed through Steamworks' waterfront restaurant -- huge place! About 5-6 of their beers on tap.

In the "other bars" category: Rogue Kitchen (not, not related to the Rogue you're thinking of). Pretty much a place in the Earls/Joeys category, but a very good tap selection -- about 15-20 craft (mostly BC with a few others thrown in).

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Made a small edit above, forgot that I was at Portland Craft.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Just back from a week in a very hot, dry, and smoky Vancouver. There for a wedding, so not a beer-focussed trip. Nonetheless, hit up a few breweries:

Brassneck - I walked all the way from Library Square to Main & 6th on a disgustingly hot Tuesday. Great tasting room, looks nice and a range of sample sizes. Various types of baked goods, cured meats available for exorbitant prices. Not overly impressed with the offerings. Cheeky Bugger (bitter) was probably my favourite. Stockholm Syndrome (sour saison) was pretty good. Other stuff was pretty ho-hum.

Postmark Brewing - This is a really nice spot, on the front lines of the continuing advance of 'Strathcona' into Hastings. Big, cool room. Concept is a bit confusing, brewery / urban winery. Had their IPA at a happy hour price of $5, so I didn't sample anything else. It was pretty good. Mushroom & bacon paté was tasty.

Moody Ales - This would be a fun place to make your regular. Board games, regular food trucks onsite, and a decent bar food menu of smoked sausages and potato chips. Beer was a bit of a let down, again, very ho-hum. Had a gratzer, a style I'd never actually had before, and it was interesting enough.

Yellow Dog - Few doors down from Moody. Small tasting room in front of the brewery with a nice beer garden out back. Beer was better than Moody, but still nothing to get excited about. Their Pale Ale was, tellingly, the best of the lot (and it was quite good).

So yeah, as everyone knows, no shortage of choice, but most of the stuff isn't worth seeking out (as is the case most places). Had my eye out for some Four Winds and Driftwood, but no luck (thanks again shitty Alibi Room hours!). Didn't make it out to any of my usual off-licenses for seasonals/one-offs unfortunately. Did do dinner at Ask for Luigi a couple blocks down from Alibi (and Postmark) and it was one of the best dinners I've ever had in Vancouver.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Funkyard

Post by Funkyard »

Heading to Vancouver this week. On a hunt for Anchorage brewing beers. Anyone know a store that has them available?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Checked out 33 Acres last night and was pleasantly surprised. Small casual drop in place. Felt almost like a community centre. Was really busy too.

Also went to Craft. Place was huge, had a great snack and prices were awesome as they were celebrating their 2nd birthday. On the other hand, given the number of taps, there weren't that many interesting ones and they commit the number one sin for me; WAY TOO LOUD.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I stumbled on a great surprise. A few months back Central City opened up a pub in Yaletown Vancouver. Not only that, but a great pub. I had no idea until I walked by and saw the sign.

40 taps, about a quarter their own beers, the rest local rotating and seasonal. No cask at the moment, but definitely part of their plan. I didn't eat, but the menu looked good.

From what I could tell, a huge investment. I'm told they own the building. The furniture and fittings were pretty high end. One room had a ~20 ft solid birch table that would bring any woodworker to tears (it did for me),

This is a definite must visit in Vancouver. On Beatty near Nelson,
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Heading over in two weeks for the last Spirit of the West concert. Anything new and exciting in Vancouver?
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I spent a few days in Vancouver last week and was blown away by the local beer scene. It was my first time there and it seems like good craft is everywhere. The town is awash in hazy IPAs, lots of experimentation with wine barrels going on as well.

If you only go to one bar/restaurant pick Alibi Room. Darby's Gastown is also really good. Portland Craft has revolving tap takeovers (Alesmith was featured when I went).

I only walked into two bottle shops and was floored both times. Steamworks Liquor Store, which carries much more than just Steamworks, and JAK'S Beer Wine Spirits where I found Colour & Shape IPA by Superflux, the reigning haze-king gypsy brewer that is often sold out around town.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Hey all, hoping to be in Vancouver in late August. Any cool spot updates... breweries, bars/restos, stores? thanks!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'll be in Vancouver early November, so I'll be sure to update this thread. Superflux is on my radar, but apart from that I don't know too much about Vancouver breweries (apart from the big ones). I also think we'll be in North Van most of the time, just a quick trip to visit family. Curious if any of the breweries on that side the harbour are must tries.