Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Innocente Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, I've made numerous trips to Waterloo this year as well, and I have to say I'm quite impressed with what it (and Kitchener) have for a city its size. Bent Elbow, Lancaster and Imbibe are all first-rate places. The Elbow has to top the list for first-class beer selection and knowledgeable staff (and good hearty food, just not at lunch!), but the other two are darn good too. And from the comments above, it looks like there are other options I haven't tried yet, notably Borealis.

Compare and contrast to London, which has Milos' and ... nothing, despite being almost twice as big. The King Eddy is great, don't get me wrong, but it's a 15 minute drive from London, with a DD or equivalent required. I'm very happy Forked River has opened and I've liked their stuff so far, but that's a brewery not a pub.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Just to clarify my comments, I understand what Kish meant in his OP and wasn't trying to dismiss his point. I find it impossible to believe that K-W had a better beer scene than the other two cities in the time between the closing of the Castle and the opening of Imbibe (a good four-year stretch, I think?). But based on what I've read on here and what Kish has told me in person, it sounds like things have drastically improved in KW. I've long maintained that London and Hamilton have "small but respectable" beer scenes, but lately it seems like there's more interesting stuff happening elsewhere in the province.
midlife crisis wrote: Compare and contrast to London, which has Milos' and ...nothing, despite being almost twice as big. The King Eddy is great, don't get me wrong, but it's a 15 minute drive from London, with a DD or equivalent required. I'm very happy Forked River has opened and I've liked their stuff so far, but that's a brewery not a pub.
This is complete nonsense. Even as a newly-migrated Torontonian who frequents all of the city's best beer spots, I still find Beertown to be a very respectable option whenever I visit. Lots of Ontario craft on tap (Mad Tom, Netherworld, HSPA, etc.) with surprisingly good imports like Houblon Chouffe and Maudite pouring as well. I get the sense that you haven't been there.

The King Eddy is indeed several minutes outside of the city but I considered it be a part of the London community when I lived there, as Rich attracted many of the London beer geeks with his hard-to-find casks, taps, and great food. Was always happy to make the drive and would either pick up the truck the next day or get "Keys Please" home (something that seems to be less common in T.O., probably b/c of the exorbitant prices charged here).

I mention Forked River as a "destination" to anyone visiting the city because it's worth dropping in for a bottle shop and to chat to the brewers. They usually have a new rotator available in bottles and are happy to provide samples, so it's definitely a go-to spot in my books.

Finally, even though I don't really bother with either bar anymore, The Black Shire and Morrissey House still have a decent amount of craft available. Shire had 14 worthy taps last time I visited (Denison's, McAuslan, F&M, Wellington, etc.) while The Mo stubbornly sticks to its 9 craft lines. The problem with both bars is that they happen to have micro beer on tap but aren't passionate about it one way or another, and glassware is often an issue.

Anyway, the claim that London has "nothing" besides Milos' is just wrong and ignorant, since there's four spots that I happily frequent despite being a spoiled beer geek living in T.O., and a few others that don't see my money but are okay options nonetheless.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Take it easy! I was agreeing, I thought, with your suggestion that K/W is well served given its size and London less so. Why the venom? You can disagree with me all you want but I'll thank you to not call me ignorant.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

midlife crisis wrote:Take it easy! I was agreeing, I thought, with your suggestion that K/W is well served given its size and London less so. Why the venom? You can disagree with me all you want but I'll thank you to not call me ignorant.
I got the impression that you were dismissing the city as a whole based on your own unfounded assumptions. If I misinterpreted your comments, I apologize. I'm sure you've read the multiple posts on here which have established that London has a small but decent beer scene (the annual Forest City Beer Fest being another element that I didn't mention above). That said, it seems like things are progressing faster in other parts of the province like Ottawa and KW.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

distr0

Post by distr0 »

bump, anyone heard anything or tried anything from these guys yet?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I've tried Bystander (Pale Ale), Fling (Blonde Ale), and Conscience (IPA). All are super bitter. I liked Conscience more when it warmed up a bit. If you like super bitter beers, or "hop juice". You'll enjoy them.

I missed out on Until Proven Guilty (Imperial Stout), only a limited amount of growlers on that one.

I believe Guilty Conscience (DIPA) is coming out soon.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

distr0 wrote:bump, anyone heard anything or tried anything from these guys yet?
They're up and running. Have a look at https://untappd.com/InnocenteBrewingCompany
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Jonah Hex wrote:
They're up and running. Have a look at https://untappd.com/InnocenteBrewingCompany
Good to see them starting to show up. That being said, I learned very quickly not to put too much stock in to Untappd ratings :)

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:
Good to see them starting to show up. That being said, I learned very quickly not to put too much stock in to Untappd ratings :)
Me either. But it's useful for seeing where the beers are on tap.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Anyone in cities other than KW try any of this?? I know kegs have been delivered to bigger cities.

My opinion has completely changed on it. I find it difficult to finish a pint now, but I'm intrigued to hear what others have to say.

I've seen what people in KW have said, and it makes me question my taste buds.

Great guy though!!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I have, but only in bottles that I picked up when I was last in Waterloo, not on tap, which is what you were asking I think. I really wanted to like the beers but a couple of them were a bit too one-dimensionally hoppy for my palate. I'll bet they would be significantly better on cask where presumably they would soften out a bit.

EDIT: I should add that I liked the AIPA quite a bit more than the other two. The high hopping rate seemed more appropriate here, or perhaps was paired with a more prominent malt backing. This was the best one by a fair margin, for me.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I have tried two of these beers. The Golden Ale is 5.7% and is not a Golden Ale. If anything it's an American Pale Ale. The India Pale Ale is just a mess. It's oversweet and overhopped for 5.7% alcohol. In a market with an increasingly fine selection of IPAs both locally made and imported, it is not up to snuff. It needs a lot of refinement. I would maybe check in in six months time to see if there's improvement.
saintjohnswort.ca

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i stopped by the brewery the other week and got their 6-pack (2 each of 3 beers)

i thought the Golden ale was good all around. the best of the 3 for sure

the pale ale had an amazing aroma and taste, but was completely ruined by an insanely bitter finish. they were brewing a new batch and tweaking the recipe when i was there. really looking forward to trying it again. it has huge potential if they can smooth out the finish

the IPA was fine, nothing exceptional.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

midlife crisis wrote:I have, but only in bottles that I picked up when I was last in Waterloo, not on tap, which is what you were asking I think.
Not at all, just wanted opinions from outside of KW, so bottles are fine. I'm not sure if everyone's just being a homer here and supporting them, or if they truly enjoy it. The first time i tried it, I liked it, but the more I have, the harder it is to finish. I've seen people calling it the best beer they've ever had.
distr0 wrote:they were brewing a new batch and tweaking the recipe when i was there. really looking forward to trying it again. it has huge potential if they can smooth out the finish.
It was/is on tap at the Bent Elbow, I got some diacetyl, and still thought the finish was still very bitter.

The diacetyl thing has become a common occurrence in his beers lately, it's been brought up to him, but he can't taste it.

That being said, Glance (Rye Pale Ale) was also up, I didn't mind this one too much, definitely the best I've had from him. The rye cuts out a lot of the bitter finish.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I just "had' the americn IPA Conscience... overly hopped, green, messy sweet caramelly what the heck is this kind of beer. Is it awful? Probably not, but calling this an american IPA is steering expectations WAYYYY out in left field.

The two gulps I had before pouring it out reminded me of a very sweet english brown ale, with way too much earthy caramel and hops in it. Tasted more like an unfiltered imperial english pale ale, if such a thing exists.

I think it tends to try to be Alpha King-kind of bitter, but with too noble a hop. Just didn't work out for me at all. Sorry Innocente!