Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:15 am It's kinda sad that Stone City went the way it did. They were so good when they first opened, but they never took the next step.
Things went south when Justin left for Matron. That said, Matron is still good.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Sold to Something in the Water & will be re-branded.

We've been pretty open that our goal was never just one brewery in one city. The paint was barely dry in Liberty Village when we started looking for a chance to do it all over again. Today, we're on cloud nine to announce our second location in Kingston!
A couple months ago we began talking to Ron and his team at Stone City Brew Co in Kingston. As one of the first in Kingston they get a ton of credit for the craft beer resurgence there, and Ron and the staff there have done a great job at curating the type of culture and energy we adore. So when Ron was ready for a career change as a professor at Queens, we began seeing if there was a chance for us to step in.
Today, not much will change at 275 Princess St. Stone City's fans will see the same faces, and be able to enjoy the same beer. Over the next weeks and months, we'll slowly start to transition the look and feel, the products, and the signage out front.
We can't wait to join forces with Bailey, Alex, Amira, Brock, Cicely, Isaac, Jason, Jessica, Lindsey, Olivia M, Olivia R, Rosie, Ruben, and Sam and create Something in the Water Kingston. We're anxious to raise a glass and collaborate with @daftbrewingco, @finebalancebrewing, @hardwaycider, @kingston_brew_pub, @maplebeers, @riverheadbrewing, @skeletonparkbrewery, and @spearheadbeer, not to mention those in PEC and the surrounding area. And we can't wait to serve each and every one of you in our new home on Princess Street.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I've never even tried their beers (from either brewery) and I know we are here for the beer, but I like that it appears they are providing employment continuity/stability for the team there.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I stopped in at Stone City for lunch on a road trip a few years back, it was a nice spot and the beers were decent but nothing special. I've yet to try Something in the Water but they certainly appear to be decent from a corporate responsibility perspective. Their whole mantra is supporting clean water initiatives and they are a certified Living Wage employer as well.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I remember going once or twice on the way back from Ottawa trips. It made for a nice mid-point stop. I recall it was very welcome when it opened as there wasn't much new on the scene in Kingston when it arrived. But like other cities, there's lots of other stuff now, and as mentioned not really the same since Justin left.

I remember meeting the owner Ron who was not a beer guy at all but came in at a good time of upward growth. They had a nice run. Hopefully the staff can transition to the new operation.