Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skootles

Post by skootles »

Oh damn that sounds delicious. Hope it makes its way to Toronto as well.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Most of their stuff has been doing the rotations through the better TO craft beer bars lately.

I've always thought sour IPAs sound like a strange mess, but I'm glad they're doing more sours. The sour peach(?) they did last summer was terrific.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

How much are they and will you buy me 4?

It's pretty neat how often you see things like this from newer breweries and the yeast being used is Escarpment. I get the feeling we wouldn't have nearly as many local sours without those guys.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:How much are they and will you buy me 4?

It's pretty neat how often you see things like this from newer breweries and the yeast being used is Escarpment. I get the feeling we wouldn't have nearly as many local sours without those guys.
There is no mention of price, but they are 750ml, so I'll guess like $14+. I will grab some for you. Let me know when you're in town next.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sounds cool, will be in K-Tel pretty soon so thanks for the great tip!
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If anyone ends up with an extra of these shoot me a PM.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

So they only bottled 20 cases of 12 at $18 per bottle (only 70 bottles left as of yesterday), and they only had 20L on draft...

I managed to buy 8, commented they should probably have a limit, then they slapped a 3 bottle limit on it. :D

I had one on Saturday night, my sour Belgian Tripel experience is pretty low, but I thought it was pretty great tasting. A smooth sour juiciness with wine notes, and an Belgian Ale backbone. At $18 per bottle, it's hardly bargain, and I'm certain there is better value out there, but Layla is a very nice effort from my local, so I'm happy to support them.

Craig, if you down for Easter we can arrange for a trade if you're still interested.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm not down for Easter, but I'll probably be around shortly after. Folks are in Winnipeg this year to see their grandkid.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

This week they released a Euro-style lager, and a barrel aged imperial sour stout.

Drinking the stout (Ladies First) https://www.instagram.com/p/BDV5l1cI6z4/

It ticks all the right boxes chocolate, mild bourbon, but then you get hit with a medicinal cherry cough syrup which just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe I'll let it warm up to see if that mutes the cough syrup...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I love that this brewery is trying stuff.

Can you snag me a bottle of that? I'll bring you some fun stuff in exchange. Or like, money or whatever.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:I love that this brewery is trying stuff.

Can you snag me a bottle of that? I'll bring you some fun stuff in exchange. Or like, money or whatever.
Yeah, we can work something out.

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Masterplan wrote:This week they released a Euro-style lager, and a barrel aged imperial sour stout.

It ticks all the right boxes chocolate, mild bourbon, but then you get hit with a medicinal cherry cough syrup which just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe I'll let it warm up to see if that mutes the cough syrup...
I thought this beer sounded quite appealing so grabbed a couple. I hope it is better than you described! Did you find it sour at all?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Jay-Brew wrote:
Masterplan wrote:This week they released a Euro-style lager, and a barrel aged imperial sour stout.

I thought this beer sounded quite appealing so grabbed a couple. I hope it is better than you described! Did you find it sour at all?

Yeah, there was some sour cherry, maybe hint of raspberry. It was better as it warmed up, and overall it wasn't bad, just not a bat flippin' home run.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Bar Volo apparently has Green Goddess on which I highly recommend for its hop dankness.

They also have Ladies First sour imperial stout which I wouldn't make a special trip but is OK.