Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Yesterday's release: Secret Beach - Saison Cuvée. 8.4% ABV, 31 IBU. A blend with Norman Hardie 2014 County Cab Franc Rose.

Lemon and crisp with a very dry finish. Lots of green grape notes in there as well.

Would be an great hot summer night dinner beer. Worth trying if you see it.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Juggarnaut day.

They are also selling two cases of last year's batch at $20 a pop. Yes, 500ml for $20... thankfully, I still have some 2015's stashed away.

Vertical coming later tonight ;)

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The 2015 has mellowed nicely, a year ago it was all bourbon with lots of heat, now it's a nice taste of bourbon with vanilla and dark dried fruit. Top notch.

The 2016 is less bourbon than last year, but has quite a nice resin hoppiness in the finish. Not sure it'll lay down as nicely as the 2015.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Masterplan wrote:Juggarnaut day.
They are also selling two cases of last year's batch at $20 a pop. Yes, 500ml for $20... thankfully, I still have some 2015's stashed away.
Great timing, I will go by there tomorrow!

My visit will be brief, and therefore affordable. Thanks.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Masterplan wrote:My top three are:
Sons of Sydenham (SOS)
Peach Don't Kill My Vibe
Layla (although some have questioned it's balance)
.... Juggernaut is more bourbon than stout.
The 'current' Juggenaut I got around Christmas is pretty nice... first one I opened very much a stout with ample smooth coffee, sweet black fruit and chocolate, warming alcohol. The bourbon oak has a nice caramel-corn quality that compliments the brew. A bit of peppery and herbal overtones completes the package.

Agree the SOS kicks it! Always get that when it's on tap.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:
Sons of Sydenham (SOS)
Peach Don't Kill My Vibe
The 'current' Juggenaut I got around Christmas is pretty nice... first one I opened very much a stout with ample smooth coffee, sweet black fruit and chocolate, warming alcohol. The bourbon oak has a nice caramel-corn quality that compliments the brew. A bit of peppery and herbal overtones completes the package.

This year's Juggernaut is mellower than last years when fresh. However, last years has cellared phenomenonally and blows this year's put of the water.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:
Sons of Sydenham (SOS)
Peach Don't Kill My Vibe

This year's Juggernaut is mellower than last years when fresh. However, last years has cellared phenomenonally and blows this year's out of the water.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Masterplan wrote:This year's Juggernaut is mellower than last years when fresh. However, last years has cellared phenomenonally and blows this year's out of the water.
I can believe it, this year's is already highly drinkable. Should some be kept anyway, will it cellar phenomenomenonally? Or even just very well?
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Belgian wrote:
Masterplan wrote:This year's Juggernaut is mellower than last years when fresh. However, last years has cellared phenomenonally and blows this year's out of the water.
I can believe it, this year's is already highly drinkable. Should some be kept anyway, will it cellar phenomenomenonally? Or even just very well?
Lasts year's needed to settle down, as the bourbon was super dominate. This years I think won't fair as well, but I'll be doing a vertical with the next release., and will keep you posted.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I wonder if they still have a few 2015's kicking around at the brewery. I doubt it. At Xmas they were $20!

I guess you never know how things will age until you age things. At very least SC appear to have no infection issues from barrel aging.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Green Goddess returns Thursday.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tried a few new ones, including the Abberation Lager and Pineapple Haze IPA.

The Kooks Sour Stout seems like the one brew not to miss, its soured and aged on raspberries for a very integrated result. That one and the meatball sandwich are probably worth a stop by.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Last week they released Protect Ya Brett (in collaboration with escarpment labs), a Brett IPA which was really good.

Thus week it's Instant Crush, a Peach, Passion fruit, and vanilla Milkshake IPA in collaboration with Nickelbrook.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My recent stop at Stone City half a month ago impressed me with the increasingly high quality of its brews. More worthwhile going by than ever.

Disclosure: I grew up mostly in Kingston, so call me a homer if you'd like although I was only guardedly optimistic about SC until pretty recently. It can take time to hit a groove.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Juggernaut is being released on Dec. 15.