Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Masterplan wrote:Juggernaut is being released on Dec. 15.
Tis' the day. $11 per 500ml. The taster I had was pretty good lots of bourbon as usual, but it was served too cold and the stout side tasted a bit thin.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Some time ago I caught word that SCA will release a 3-vintage vertical of Juggernaut around Xmas time.

They now have some fine new beers like the Alive and Well IPA, and the To Helles With It I'm enjoying right now (superb).
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Belgian wrote:Some time ago I caught word that SCA will release a 3-vintage vertical of Juggernaut around Xmas time.

They now have some fine new beers like the Alive and Well IPA, and the To Helles With It I'm enjoying right now (superb).
I haven't had the Juggernaut yet....this could be a nice reason for a road trip to Kingston area in the future.
Still have one bottle of Layla squirreled away, which is my favourite beer from them.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I did the three year juggernaut last Christmas. The 2015 was still the best vintage, the 2016 is significantly more boozy, and 2017 was good, but more bitter and less booze.

Looking forward to the 2018, but with losing their head brewer, I wonder what 2019 holds for SCA..?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Masterplan wrote:I did the three year juggernaut last Christmas. The 2015 was still the best vintage, the 2016 is significantly more boozy, and 2017 was good, but more bitter and less booze.

Looking forward to the 2018, but with losing their head brewer, I wonder what 2019 holds for SCA..?
SCA had the 2017 and 2018 Juggernaut there on Friday evening. Haven't tried yet but snagged a few!
Only $9.00 versus I think $11:50 previously.

Enjoyed a few on tap, the excellent new Lager and the (draft-only) sour stout on raspberries, extremely flavorful with a good wallop of the tart and full berry yet low bitterness and later emerges chocolate. The latter (Slow Moves) is such a sipper that the 8oz serving could be shared.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Belgian wrote:
Masterplan wrote:I did the three year juggernaut last Christmas. The 2015 was still the best vintage, the 2016 is significantly more boozy, and 2017 was good, but more bitter and less booze.

SCA had the 2017 and 2018 Juggernaut there on Friday evening. Haven't tried yet but snagged a few!
Only $9.00 versus I think $11:50 previously.

Enjoyed a few on tap, the excellent new Lager and the (draft-only) sour stout on raspberries, extremely flavorful with a good wallop of the tart and full berry yet low bitterness and later emerges chocolate. The latter (Slow Moves) is such a sipper that the 8oz serving could be shared.
One of the better Ontario brewers. Always enjoy the place.
Reliable Beer Critic

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Drinking a 2018 Juggernaut and... this beer is sour. Over carbonated and really just not what I expected from a BBA stout. I’m sure this is why they only charged $9 for it.

Anyone else had this sour stout?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

The more I sip on this the more I’m thinking this was mislabelled. They also had a stout with brett which is much more fitting to what I’m tasting. This is downright dry and.. I’m getting pineapple notes on the nose

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Juggernaut is definitely not sour, usually it's a bourbon bomb. Either infected or possibly mislabeled.

But I have been noticing things have not been up to snuff since Justin left.

I did swing by and grabbed their IPA No. 3 they released today though.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Masterplan wrote:Juggernaut is definitely not sour, usually it's a bourbon bomb. Either infected or possibly mislabeled.

But I have been noticing things have not been up to snuff since Justin left.

I did swing by and grabbed their IPA No. 3 they released today though.
I had the same experience as you, only at C'est What. Maybe it is a trend - I had a similar experience with the St. Ambroise RIS there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stone City Ales Timequake
Style: Saison / Farmhouse

Bottle from SCA. Vigorous bottle-conditioning pressure causes a bit of beer to LEAP out upon opening. Pour is fizzy very pear-pale amber, aromas and taste are extremely refined, winey pale fruit and brett and phenolics. What an absolute beauty Farmhouse blend. Has a medium-full palate and a lingering hoppy-herbal dryness with some mineral overtones.
In Beerum Veritas

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Seems SCA has hired a new head brewer. Joe Faint from Nickelbrook.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

And Joe has resigned and they are once again searching for a new head brewer.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The brewery is for sale:

https://www.rtcr.com/properties/stone-city-ales/

$375k seems like a deal, but I heard they are locked into some terrible lease agreement.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's kinda sad that Stone City went the way it did. They were so good when they first opened, but they never took the next step.