Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Chicago Style Pizza

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

eric hasler

Chicago Style Pizza

Post by eric hasler »

Has anybody been to Chicago Style Pizza in Hamilton? I have heard the food is great but what about taps and or bottles. Anything interesting?
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"

Sil

Post by Sil »

I've been out there, but I don't even remember them having beer. Are you sure they're licensed? We went right when they opened and there was already a line. From what I understand that is normal.

(My visit was a couple of years ago, to be fair)

I grew up on Chicago style pizza and my favorite in the GTA is in Mississauga at Mickey's (on Lake Shore in Clarkson). The place in Hamilton wasn't *bad* but not worth the haul and I found the toppings stingy.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sil wrote:The place in Hamilton wasn't *bad* but not worth the haul and I found the toppings stingy.
That can be a major flaw in food services here, Americans come to visit and they can't believe how stingy the presentation is a lot of the time.

Shooting themselves in the foot... people go out to eat not to get ripped off.
In Beerum Veritas

Streets

Post by Streets »

The place is two blocks from me so I'll try to do some reconnaissance for you. I've only ever done take away, but I'm sure I saw them serving wine so it is licensed. I doubt they have much of a beer selection though.

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

Thank for your input but I find this to be strange...a friend went there and said the portions are of 'mammoth' portions and the food was top notch...but he doesn't drink and failed to tell me what beer they have if any. Restaurants that are not licensed just make no sense to me...unless your market is 1-17 years of age....but then again shouldn't alcohol be served to the parents?
Still waiting on other 1st hand experience,don't want to go all the way to Hamilton only to find smog.
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

eric hasler wrote:...a friend went there and said the portions are of 'mammoth' portions
A portion of mammoth would be vanishingly small. First, just finding a 10,000 year old frozen specimen in the Siberian tundra... ;)

Yeah that's a long drive for pizza of any stripe. I've still got many places to try in T-dot.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

This pizza joint was on "You Gotta Eat Here' last week and they mentioned there was a minimum of 2lbs of cheese on their deep pan pizzas'; doesn't sound stingy to me!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Torontoblue wrote:This pizza joint was on "You Gotta Eat Here' last week and they mentioned there was a minimum of 2lbs of cheese on their deep pan pizzas'; doesn't sound stingy to me!
Not enough sausage, etc. In fact it's the 2lbs of cheese that will prevent me from ever ordering it again. Barely any sauce (and I don't normally like it sauce-heavy) and way too much cheese. Way too much cheese. Chewing it was a chore. Wasn't thrilled by the crust either.

And I think you're only going to find bottles of Blue and the like.

Harbour Diner - from a previous episode of the show - deserves much more attention than this place, IMO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Truth is the 'cheese' on commercial pizza isn't the greatest anyway, designed for economy & bulk rather than aroma & texture. There's a reason good pizzerias (pizzeriae?) exist... try to notice how good 'real' mozzarella is next time you have genuine, no-blowing-smoke-up-your-ass pizza.
In Beerum Veritas

Sil

Post by Sil »

Cale wrote:Not enough sausage, etc.
That's what I meant by stingy toppings, exactly. There was plenty of cheese, but a good Chicago style pizza will have a metric crapton of toppings - sausage, veggies, whatever you like and a tasty balance of sauce.

I found the crust lacking. Not enough flavor. Because a deep-dish pizza has so much crust, the crust should have a lot of taste by itself - usually it's either very buttery or caramelized. Their crust was just floury.

I'm not saying it was a bad pizza, but it wasn't as spectacular as I expected after all the hoopla on Chowhound. Then again, I am very picky about Chicago style pizza so YMMV.

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

Well,it was an experience to say the least,met my friend at The Winking Judge as it was recommended,get there and checked their taps and nothing special really but the best was yet to come. Finished off a Smashbomb and went back to get another(no they didn't come to serve me she was too busy chatting with 2 old timmers) and the special treat behind the bar procedded to pour a diiferent IPA into my dirty glass. I asked for a clean glass and was then scolded by the old-timmers,the owner and the 21 year old bartender that you never use a clean glass you should use a 'conditioned'glass at which point I smirked,made a caustic comment to them all which I am sure they didn't understand and trudged back to my table. There is a part 2 to the story which I haven't decided to post yet.

ps:didn't make it to Chicago's...next time.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Sadly your jusdge story is not terribly uncommon.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

"conditioned glass???" :roll:

I'd love to hear part 2!

Homer: "Can I a CLEAN glass?"

Bartender: (grumbles) "Here you go, your majesty!!!"
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

eric hasler

Post by eric hasler »

Well folks after chatting with a few friends I have decided not tp post the disgusting part 2......but will give a few clues and then I am dropping this. It has to do with a bathroom a previous 'all you can eat chillie+beer' buffett and a wait-staff and the lack there of handwashing.

ps:please close bathroom doors if you want privousy
pps:I am not kidding
ppps:yes it is common knowledge apparantly,yet not spoken about.