Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Parkdale Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Brockton? Good lord.
saintjohnswort.ca

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

El Pinguino wrote:What a sh*tshow this is, haha...someone putting a lot of marketing effort into dubious projects.

The 'personal' profile for them has 5000 friends...I'm assuming that is the maximum allowed on Facebook...because, really, what person would ever really have 5000 friends?
https://www.facebook.com/ParkdaleBrewery?fref=pb

Don't forget they have Scarborough Cider as well:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarboro ... ts&fref=ts
With more questionable personal profiles (which technically isn't allwoed by Facebook rules):
https://www.facebook.com/scarborough.cider.7?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/scarborough.ci ... ts&fref=ts
S. Cider has almost 5000 friends as well. Hmmm...

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

f--ked.

momnhops

Post by momnhops »

This Jason kid is a tool.

I called him out before Christmas and he got a hold of my phone number and sent me numerous text messages and kept calling me over and over again demanding an apology. I told him if he really needed to talk I was currently at the Rhino and to come by. That was the last I heard.

He buys all his twitter and facebook followers through bogus services.

What is someone actually wanted to operate a microbrewery in Parkdale?

He has tons of fake 'companies' and 'event's. New Beers Eve? Hah.

This really irkes me.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Maybe the guy is try to do an "Andy Kaufman" but lacks talent for the funny?

Or he could just be flat out delusional... :lol:
lister

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Perhaps he has a (delusional) belief that somebody is going to purchase these company names from him for big money? Akin to web squatters.
Ren

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

This guy is nuts.

A fake Italian/Vietnamese restaurant? A non-existant film festival? A brewery with no beer? I mean, if the guy wants to be taken seriously then he could drop a sample off to anyone in the industry and put this to rest. As is, I'm sick of hearing about this. Sick of having people ask me about it. Sick of having to explain that this is a cruel joke and they can't expect a brewery in their neighbourhood any time soon.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Mike-KBCo wrote:This guy is nuts.

A fake Italian/Vietnamese restaurant? A non-existant film festival? A brewery with no beer? I mean, if the guy wants to be taken seriously then he could drop a sample off to anyone in the industry and put this to rest. As is, I'm sick of hearing about this. Sick of having people ask me about it. Sick of having to explain that this is a cruel joke and they can't expect a brewery in their neighbourhood any time soon.
I am confused as to what he stands to gain from this? Other than personal amusement, that is...

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Mike-KBCo wrote:This guy is nuts.

I am confused as to what he stands to gain from this? Other than personal amusement, that is...

That's the thing we're all wondering...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Mike-KBCo wrote:
Only two possibilities that I can think of:

1. He is somehow making money through these fake businesses. On line advertising?

2. He is more off-centered than Dogfish Head.

Mike-KBCo

Post by Mike-KBCo »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Mike-KBCo wrote:

1. He is somehow making money through these fake businesses. On line advertising?

Option #1 is more plausible. He's many tens of thousands of followers shy of being able to sell to advertisers though.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

This made me laugh.

I think he is likely crazy; if he is going so far as to text people and demand an apology, there is an issue.

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Mike-KBCo wrote:

To me, it has the sniff of a school project for a business or marketing class.

Perhaps dude's using the fake online presences he's made as a kind of CV for getting some real work.

Jason

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

He could be trying to use the online presence to attract investors for the brewery, although the fact that the online presence has now existed for two and a half years without anything to show for the effort suggests that it's probably not working. Also, you could easily kickstarter that with minimal planning and probably have funds within a month. Toronto is just awash with craft nanobreweries.
saintjohnswort.ca