Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Canadian Brewing Festival

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

scott097

Post by scott097 »

Sept 25-27 in Guelph, ON
Is this an anual even held in guelph, or is it in a different city/province every year? Is it any good? I should think it would be.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It's an annual event populated mostly by U of Guelph students.

I went once. Had a mediocre time. Its mostly the same breweries that you see at Fort York, a few less, a few more (getting to try Neudstadt was the beer highlight for me). Best part was the bison meat table - mmm free samples. We adjourned early after it got to crowded and went to the Penny Whistle pub in Guelph. (Tasty wings and Indian food)

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

The crowd has been a little better the last couple of years since they've been holding the event in downtown Guelph (as opposed to on the UofG campus). Going earlier is also advised to avoid the most obnoxious drunkenness.

j@beaus

Post by j@beaus »

We attended this show 5 years ago and have not been back until this year. They seem to have put a lot of effort into getting away from the "piss up" of days gone by. They're doing a cooking with beer demontration and they even have Stephen Beaumont doing a seminar.

Warning: Student night is Thursday night.

http://www.gcbf.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: auburnale on 2003-09-22 11:50 ]</font>

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

When is Stephen's seminar? Might consider going to that.

Joe.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I'll be hosting a tutored tasting at 5:00 Saturday afternoon, expected to last roughly 45 minutes to an hour. (I believe that there will be an admission charge in the form of tasting coupons.) The beers are unlikely to be new to bartowellers simply because there's nothing terribly new or unusual at the fest, but I will be talking a lot about cooking with beer and pairing beer and food. The final beer will be served with a beer stew that will be prepared as I speak.

The beers will be:
Hoegaarden
Hacker-Pschorr Hefe
Cameron's Cream
Pilsner Urquell
Wellington Arkell
Magnotta IPA
McEwan's Scotch