Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What are you drinking at midnight?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wilco

What are you drinking at midnight?

Post by wilco »

Just curious about what people will be drinking to ring in the New Year: champagne, champagne-like beer (gueuze, tripel), or other? I would go with gueuze if I had some, but it'll have to be champagne for me this year.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Various beers up to midnight then either a sparkling wine or an ice wine then followed by more beers. May even sneak a martii, er, cocktail, :wink: in there somewhere. We're staying home so I'll be drinking more than what I normally would.
Last edited by lister on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lister

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Maybe a bottle of Dark Lord, and I may just have a Beer Geek's Breakfast in the morning. Last year I had a "Trappy New Year" with a Chimay, Westmalle, Orval and a Westvleteren 12 at midnight.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Depends on what is left at Volo ;-)

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I got some cheap bubbly.

Before midnight, it's the True North IPA. First time trying it (I never get to the BS), a really well constructed Canadian IPA. Not shy on the hops.

It's been an interesting holiday beer-wise. I've been served macros for the most part, but I was impressed with both the Sleeman Rousse and Moosehead Pale Ale. Okay, maybe not impressed with the Moosehead, but it definitely beats Keith's.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've got some Chandon ROse I'll be cracking.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Don't know when in the night it'll happen, but definitely cracking my 750 of Unibroue 16. Other than that I just need to work on emptying out the fridge before I move back to school on Saturday. I know I need to get through some Don de Dieu, Aphrodisiaque, Brasseurs Illimites stuff, Scotch Irish stuff, ... it's gonna be a nice couple days.

mytjemo

Post by mytjemo »

Hey all, stumbled across this forum few days back and it's my first post. 8)

I'm gonna have me a bottle of Rogue's Hazelnut. I bought it yesterday and am surprised at my own will power for having left it untouched in the fridge for the past 24 hrs =)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze, it will also be my 1000th ratebeer rating

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

At midnight will be Hitachino Nest New Years Celebration Ale and a little bubbly. Not together mind.

Leading up will be Mikkeller Monks Elixer and a 2006 Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze, it will also be my 1000th ratebeer rating
Nice! I might go for the Oude Kriek tonight!

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Still haven't decided. I'm just hanging out, drinking and watching movies and playing video games, so it doesn't seem right to burn through a bunch of high end bottles :P

For the evening, I've got a 2003 Mort Subite Geuze (before I know of/had access to better) that I'll drink. There's a Bruton Lilith I have been eyeing for a while. An Aventinus Eisbock from last year will either start me off or put me down. Picked up some Denison's from Quay the other day so I'll have a few of those...

We'll see what midnight brings. I'll probably miss it like the last few years... "oh what time is it? Damnit, 12:17."

The real party for me is a few days later, when my restaurant friends can make it over. That one will include:

* Trapist tasting; Konigshoeven Quad, Westmalle Triple, Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12
* Old Rasputin Anniversary
* Lost Abbey Angel's Share
* Panil Sour
* New Glarus Belgian Red or Tart for desert
Mat

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mjohnston wrote: * Trappist tasting; Konigshoeven Quad, Westmalle Triple, Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12
Ooh good lineup. I have those pretty much also (the '05 Rochefort is the 8 not the 10) Doncha have any 2008 Orval? ;)

OK I will stop quoting you MJ, only to say I recently had a 2005 Westmalle Tripel and I think this beer becomes too round in 4+ years & is much better in the first few years, while still showing some hops. Enjoy the tasting - cheers.
In Beerum Veritas

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

"Trappy New Year" :D I love it!

I have 12 bottles of Westmalle Dubbel left from the case of 24 I had.
One of those will be in my glass at midnight.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

hehe thanks, and yeah I have a few bottles of Orval. I might bring one of those out but it isn't a similar style to the quads/tripels, so I might not. We'll see :)
Mat