Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

StephenRich wrote: I'm torn about my site, but I think that it is best in the long run that I let it rest and focus all my attention on Spearhead. If everyone enjoys the beer as much as I hope, I probably wont have much time for DefinitionAle anyways - a great problem to have!
The people that read your site are your target audience/market. I'd leave it up with FULL DISCLOSURE. 5/5 ratings wouldn't be appropriate, but beer geeks want all the info they can get. Just tell us about the product!

carguy

Post by carguy »

I wish I had know about this sooner. I had a bottle of Hawaiian Pale Ale in my hand a few weeks ago at The Morrisey House, but gave it a pass. There was no brewery listed on the lable, and the fact that it was a 650ml bomber made me think it must have been something from Trafalgar. I wish I had tried it now.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

carguy wrote:I wish I had know about this sooner. I had a bottle of Hawaiian Pale Ale in my hand a few weeks ago at The Morrisey House, but gave it a pass. There was no brewery listed on the lable, and the fact that it was a 650ml bomber made me think it must have been something from Trafalgar. I wish I had tried it now.

Were they selling it?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

Derek wrote:
StephenRich wrote:

The people that read your site are your target audience/market. I'd leave it up with FULL DISCLOSURE. 5/5 ratings wouldn't be appropriate, but beer geeks want all the info they can get. Just tell us about the product!
Thanks very much Derek, thats a great suggestion. I'm going to have to really ponder than one - cause I love the beer reviews... HHmmm.. Tough one..

carguy

Post by carguy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
carguy wrote:I wish I had know about this sooner. I had a bottle of Hawaiian Pale Ale in my hand a few weeks ago at The Morrisey House, but gave it a pass. There was no brewery listed on the lable, and the fact that it was a 650ml bomber made me think it must have been something from Trafalgar. I wish I had tried it now.

Were they selling it?
They would have had I wanted it. We were there, and I was drinking Smashbomb, but my wife wanted something along the lines of a stout or porter, but they didn't have any. Then the server went and brought out a half dozen random beers from the cooler left by brewery reps. There were a couple cans of Wellington RIS, so we bought them.

I'm assuming the bottle is still there, unless the staff drank it in the meantime.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

carguy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

Were they selling it?
They would have had I wanted it. We were there, and I was drinking Smashbomb, but my wife wanted something along the lines of a stout or porter, but they didn't have any. Then the server went and brought out a half dozen random beers from the cooler left by brewery reps. There were a couple cans of Wellington RIS, so we bought them.

I'm assuming the bottle is still there, unless the staff drank it in the meantime.
I'm just wondering how Morrisey House was selling a beer that isn't even available yet?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

carguy wrote:Then the server went and brought out a half dozen random beers from the cooler left by brewery reps. There were a couple cans of Wellington RIS, so we bought them.
Wait a sec - they SOLD you beer that was given to them FREE by brewery reps?

Wow. That just might be grounds for AGCO license revocation. And even if it's not, it's pretty skeezy.

Flood

Post by Flood »

GregClow wrote:
carguy wrote:Then the server went and brought out a half dozen random beers from the cooler left by brewery reps. There were a couple cans of Wellington RIS, so we bought them.
Wait a sec - they SOLD you beer that was given to them FREE by brewery reps?

Wow. That just might be grounds for AGCO license revocation. And even if it's not, it's pretty skeezy.
The OFFICIAL London Ontario launch of Spearhead is happening at Gambrinus on June 19th!

We will be there, as well as Stephen and his team!
All are invited to taste it on draught then!

To my knowledge, this will be the first PROPER appearance of it in London ON.
beer up

Saison

Post by Saison »

Derek wrote: Just tell us about the product!
And maybe drop the 'real beer' crap.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

GregClow wrote: Wait a sec - they SOLD you beer that was given to them FREE by brewery reps? Wow. That just might be grounds for AGCO license revocation. And even if it's not, it's pretty skeezy.
Couldn't disagree more with this comment. First, we don't know if this is actually what happened as the original poster hasn't verified it yet. Second, although selling free beer is indeed sketchy (it was presumably meant for staff tasting, and the bar shouldn't profit if the brewery doesn't as well), why would anyone want to dime out a bar that's considered to be a fixture on the local craft beer scene? If anything that's more "skeezy" than the poor judgement of the staff member involved. I realize Toronto has 50+ beer bars and/or 'beer-friendly' establishments to choose from, but London has less than a fifth of that, and the closing of The Morrissey House would be a devastating loss to beer geeks in this city.
Flood wrote: The OFFICIAL London Ontario launch of Spearhead is happening at Gambrinus on June 19th!

We will be there, as well as Stephen and his team!
All are invited to taste it on draught then!

To my knowledge, this will be the first PROPER appearance of it in London ON.
This should be a great time. You guys have an outrageous line-up of events for OCB Week. I'm looking forward to attending all of them!

Stephen - is there any chance of that West Coast brown ale making an appearance on draught?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

cratez wrote:
GregClow wrote: Wait a sec - they SOLD you beer that was given to them FREE by brewery reps? Wow. That just might be grounds for AGCO license revocation. And even if it's not, it's pretty skeezy.
Couldn't disagree more with this comment. First, we don't know if this is actually what happened as the original poster hasn't verified it yet. Second, although selling free beer is indeed sketchy (it was presumably meant for staff tasting, and the bar shouldn't profit if the brewery doesn't as well), why would anyone want to dime out a bar that's considered to be a fixture on the local craft beer scene? If anything that's more "skeezy" than the poor judgement of the staff member involved. I realize Toronto has 50+ beer bars and/or 'beer-friendly' establishments to choose from, but London has less than a fifth of that, and the closing of The Morrissey House would be a devastating loss to beer geeks in this city.
Cratez, I wasn't trying to "dime out" anyone. I was simply making two comments:

1) A bar selling beer or any other alcoholic beverage that was given to them as a sample MIGHT be grounds for revocation of their license, should the AGCO find out about it.

2) Even if it's not, it's not very cool for the bar to do this, as they are profiting on something they didn't pay for.

The first is a statement of fact (or possible fact - I'd need to look up the AGCO rules to be sure). The second is just my opinion, which would hold for ANY bar that does this, regardless of how important it is to the local beer geeks.

Obviously, I don't wish for the Morrissey or any good beer bar to go out of business. But if they do stupid shit like this, they may be running the risk of getting themselves shut down, which is just... well, stupid.

And to get back on topic - can't wait to try the Spearhead beer at next week's launch! :wink:

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

GregClow wrote: Cratez, I wasn't trying to "dime out" anyone. I was simply making two comments:

1) A bar selling beer or any other alcoholic beverage that was given to them as a sample MIGHT be grounds for revocation of their license, should the AGCO find out about it.

2) Even if it's not, it's not very cool for the bar to do this, as they are profiting on something they didn't pay for.

The first is a statement of fact (or possible fact - I'd need to look up the AGCO rules to be sure). The second is just my opinion, which would hold for ANY bar that does this, regardless of how important it is to the local beer geeks.

Obviously, I don't wish for the Morrissey or any good beer bar to go out of business. But if they do stupid shit like this, they may be running the risk of getting themselves shut down.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification Greg.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Stephen,

I see Spearhead is planning some sort of coming out event for OCB week. Are there any details available yet?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

StephenRich

Post by StephenRich »

Hey Cratez, that West Coast Brown Ale was just one of my own personal homebrews (named The Fat Guy in a Little Coat) - it was not affiliated with Spearhead whatsoever. But thanks very much for your interest! I may have one bottle left that I've been holding onto, so if you are in Toronto I think I can find reason to bring it out ; )

Tapsucker - We have tons of events planned during OCB week in Toronto, London, Guelph, and Muskoka that we are super excited for! you can find details on all of theme on our site here: http://spearheadbeer.com/index.php?id=12

Cheers guys from Mondial! And see you soon!

carguy

Post by carguy »

GregClow wrote:
cratez wrote:
Cratez, I wasn't trying to "dime out" anyone. I was simply making two comments:

Obviously, I don't wish for the Morrissey or any good beer bar to go out of business. But if they do stupid shit like this, they may be running the risk of getting themselves shut down, which is just... well, stupid.

And to get back on topic - can't wait to try the Spearhead beer at next week's launch! :wink:
I'm sure it was just a mistake on the servers part. Honestly, it never crossed my mind. I believe he was just being helpful. I wish I hadn't brought it up now, as I don't want to get anyone in trouble.