Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 predictions for the Ontario beer scene

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

2010 predictions for the Ontario beer scene

Post by matt7215 »

Here are a few of mine:

1) multiple Ontario made IPA's on the LCBO shelves

2) one Belgian Lambic on LCBO shelves @ $15+ per bottle

3) at least one Ontario brewer closing its doors for good

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

matt7215 wrote:Here are a few of mine:

1. entirely possible, given that scotch-irish is already there, and that several others are already being bottled...
2. what's the atmosphere like on your planet? i love geuze, but i don't think it's going to be the next big $$ offering at the lcbo. i think more accessible styles are more likely -- barley wines, impy stouts, maybe some more trappists.
3. sadly, all too possible.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Would love to see some Grand River bottles in a few GTA stores.

Not a prediction, but a wish. I wonder if GR could sell truckloads just going through Queen's Quay and Summerhill LC's.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:Would love to see some Grand River bottles in a few GTA stores.

Not a prediction, but a wish. I wonder if GR could sell truckloads just going through Queen's Quay and Summerhill LC's.
There were bottles of the Town Hall Lager at Bayview Village a few weeks ago.

I predict more modest improvements...

notdan

Post by notdan »

I predict (wish) that Ontario will produce a few Belgian efforts (besides a witbier) and get them onto LCBO shelves in either late 2010 or sometime in 2011. I know Mill Street makes a tripel, so maybe that's a first step. Hopefully I can try that one when I finally visit the Mill Street brewpub, hopefully sometime in the next few months.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

tuqueboy wrote:

2. what's the atmosphere like on your planet? i love geuze, but i don't think it's going to be the next big $$ offering at the lcbo. i think more accessible styles are more likely -- barley wines, impy stouts, maybe some more trappists.
Maybe not as far fetched as you might think. A huge amount of Cantillon is going to flood into Alberta in February (12 differnt labels, from what I hear). Although Alberta has privatized liquor, beer culture is nowhere near as devloped as in Ontario, yet the anticipation for Cantillon is MASSIVE in the small subset in Alberta that care. Whoever distributes Cantillon in Canada will no doubt shortly have proof of demand in this country. Combine a large untapped market in Ontario, the ridiculous success of Ola Dubh and an LCBO with a new appreciation of a niche marketplace and anything can happen.

My predictions for Ontario.....

1). Wet Hopped/Harvest Ales are the new black, with multiple new offerings next year.
2). Mill St. maybe spinning off one of their seasonal offerings in their mix packs into regular production.
3). Cask conditioned beers growing even more in popularity, with Ontario perhaps even gaining an international reputation for it's must-attend cask events.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

My biggest prediction would be a continuation of bars/restaurants picking up one or two local taps, with more frequent changes of what's on tap. I'd also expect more places in bigger cities to bring cask online.

I think we might also start to see better distribution of Ontario craft beers. Hell, Beau's is already making it down to Waterloo.

As we know from the product calls, we should also expect to be seeing some high end product showing up more regularly at the LCBO. I wouldn't be surprised to see one $10 to $20/bottle product showing up in each seasonal release. They'd have no problem moving volume of a high end fruit lambic if they pimped it out in Food and Drink as the awesome it is.
Mat

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mjohnston wrote:My biggest prediction would be a continuation of bars/restaurants picking up one or two local taps, with more frequent changes of what's on tap. I'd also expect more places in bigger cities to bring cask online.
... because you can't BORE people into liking the same draught lineup for three or four months... let us follow the USA / Manhattan model!!
mjohnston wrote: I think we might also start to see better distribution of Ontario craft beers. Hell, Beau's is already making it down to Waterloo.
Well inevitably - and the Beau's Lug Tread somebody gave me for Xmas was fantastic, and not just because it was a gift.
mjohnston wrote: As we know from the product calls, we should also expect to be seeing some high end product showing up more regularly at the LCBO. I wouldn't be surprised to see one $10 to $20/bottle product showing up in each seasonal release. They'd have no problem moving volume of a high end fruit lambic if they pimped it out in Food and Drink as the awesome it is.
This is exactly the type of thing you'd expect to happen, if the Ola Dubh madness means anything. It gives the stuffy LCBO product consultants and Rosedale-type consumers something they can feel is 'important.' Except I don't like extremely acetic beers, I am embarassed to admit... :oops: I hope there are great lambics I can actually tolerate LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Belgian wrote:Except I don't like extremely acetic beers, I am embarassed to admit... :oops: I hope there are great lambics I can actually tolerate LOL.
Yeah I agree; a 750 is definitely a bottle to share for me. A 330ml of Roddenbach Grand Cru can be a challenge even. I've got to be in the mood.

I think LCBO will realize that and will explore all of the premium styles.
Mat

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

1) More craft beer dinners/events throughout the Province

2) More premium craft beers on LCBO shelves, at least three or four products pushing the $20 ceiling

3) More beers that are brought in quantities less than 50 cases

4) Another mediocre but insanely successful flavored beer by the big guys

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Roland + Russell wrote:4) Another mediocre but insanely successful flavored beer by the big guys
Indeed! I'm thinking they'll do a raspberry wheat, but judging by the lime success, they may choose to do something like lemon wheat or orange wheat given that those are the normal garnish fruits.
Mat

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I predict that:
1) one of the majors will buy another Ontario craft brewer a la Creemore.
2) Steamwhistle will contemplate making another beer really really well
3) There will be at least three new craft brewers in the GTA with at least one of them having a focus on specialty beers.

wilco

Post by wilco »

tuqueboy wrote:

1. entirely possible, given that scotch-irish is already there, and that several others are already being bottled...
3. sadly, all too possible.
Do you really think barley wine is a more accessible style? My family won't touch them or any stouts or porters, let alone impys. Gueuze is at least something I could see them trying and enjoying (after much determination on my part).

My prediction is for a decent summer release from the LCBO. Ola Dubhs and Dieu du Ciel beers have flown off the shelves, while Wittekerke Rose still plagues our stores half a year later. Let's see if they are smart enough to realize this and make some adventurous selections. I think DDC's hibiscus beer has already been mentioned as a possibility, which is a nice start.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mjohnston wrote:
Belgian wrote:Except I don't like extremely acetic beers, I am embarassed to admit... :oops: I hope there are great lambics I can actually tolerate LOL.
Yeah I agree; a 750 is definitely a bottle to share for me. A 330ml of Roddenbach Grand Cru can be a challenge even.
I could definitely share a bottle sometime (but really - you find Rodenbach too sharp - I mean something like Rose de Gambrinus from Cantillon, though I love lambics, THAT one is a rare beer that I just cannot seem to drink at all, it is inhumanly vinegar-like.) (That said Rodenbach Grand Cru gives me a mean headache the next day!)
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

wilco wrote: Do you really think barley wine is a more accessible style? My family won't touch them or any stouts or porters, let alone impys. Gueuze is at least something I could see them trying and enjoying (after much determination on my part).

My prediction is for a decent summer release from the LCBO. Ola Dubhs and Dieu du Ciel beers have flown off the shelves, while Wittekerke Rose still plagues our stores half a year later. Let's see if they are smart enough to realize this and make some adventurous selections. I think DDC's hibiscus beer has already been mentioned as a possibility, which is a nice start.
Is barley wine an easily-accessible style? No. But it's more accessible than a proper geuze, a style which gives even some beer geeks pause.

As for the Dieu du Ciel Rosee D'Hibiscus, it's definitely part of the summer release.