Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Straining Wort

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Straining Wort

Post by cannondale »

I'm curious what everyone is doing with respect to wort straining.

I have been whirlpooing + stainless braid in my keggle, but it just isn't getting the job done. I'm thinking of removing the braid, then just opening the spigot to drain the chilled wort through a nylon paint strainer bag into a sanitized bottling bucket. And from there just pouring into the primary carboy via funnel.

Anyone tried a technique similar to this? Any other recommended techniques?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I bought some stainless steel mesh on ebay, and built a hop stopper type device. Looks kind of like a 4 sided pyramid that clamps over the diptube with the seams folded over and clamped with bent copper. Haven't given it a full test yet though. I've been doing mini mashes and using one of those large strainers that fit in your kitchen sink over a bottling bucket with whole leaf hops that kind of act like an extra strainer.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

An immersion chiller helps a lot, irish moss helps a little... I've never used whirlfloc.

If I don't think I can siphon the wort off the top, or if I'm planning to reuse the yeast, I'll use one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 2120,33279

If you're not reusing the yeast, and you rack to a secondary, is there a problem with transferring some trub?

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

i've had this problem getting tons of trub and cold break in the primary. last brew i did a whirl pool and let stand for 20 minutes but alot of the material still hadn't fallen out.

i racked to a carboy, let stand for 2 hours and then racked to a second carboy before pitching. this got it pretty clean in the my 2nd carboy but is more labor intensive.

from what i've heard, if you brewing an ale and don't plan leaving it on the trub longer than a month, dumping the whole kettle into the carboy shouldn't be an issue.

edit: i also tried putting a muslin bag over my auto siphon while racking from the kettle but it seemed to inhibit the sucking power.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

bufordsbest wrote:
from what i've heard, if you brewing an ale and don't plan leaving it on the trub longer than a month, dumping the whole kettle into the carboy shouldn't be an issue.
^this^

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

matt7215 wrote:
bufordsbest wrote:
^this^
Indeed. If beer clarity is an issue, let it sit outside in the garage overnight. As long as it doesnt freeze, your yeast should survive and your beer should clear up fine.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I don't mind a little trub in primary. However since I started brewing 10 gallon batches split between two fermenters, by the time you get the second carboy half full you are left with a kettle of sludge to deal with. And it really becomes a nuisance when you go to rack to secondary.

I often reuse yeast as well.

So I employed the nylon paint strainer bag technique yesterday and it worked like a charm. Cleaned and sanitized two pails, two strainer bags, two carboys and a funnel. The bags have an elastic top to hold it over the mouth of the pail. Poured the chilled wort into the pails through the strainer bags, lifted the bags out and boo bam, two pails of clear wort. From there into the carboys through the funnel.

I'm hooked.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

cannondale wrote:I don't mind a little trub in primary. However since I started brewing 10 gallon batches split between two fermenters, by the time you get the second carboy half full you are left with a kettle of sludge to deal with. And it really becomes a nuisance when you go to rack to secondary.

I often reuse yeast as well.

So I employed the nylon paint strainer bag technique yesterday and it worked like a charm. Cleaned and sanitized two pails, two strainer bags, two carboys and a funnel. The bags have an elastic top to hold it over the mouth of the pail. Poured the chilled wort into the pails through the strainer bags, lifted the bags out and boo bam, two pails of clear wort. From there into the carboys through the funnel.

I'm hooked.
I'm having a hard time picturing the strainers you refer to. All of the paint one I know would be too small. Where did you buy yours?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm having a hard time picturing the strainers you refer to. All of the paint one I know would be too small. Where did you buy yours?
Do a google image search on 'paint strainer bag' and you will see a bunch in action.

They are large nylon mesh bags with an elastic around the opening. You put the bag inside a 5 gallon pail then fit the elastic around the opening.

I bought them at Lowe's. There are two sizes, 1 gallon and 5 gallon.

My understanding is that some people hang the bag in the kettle during boil. But to me, there are a few drawbacks to this approach.

The bags were surprisingly easy to clean. They are hanging dry, waiting until next brew day where I will clean again and sanitize before use.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I stopped by Lowe's today but they only had the 5 Gallon strainers in a 12 pack for $25. If anyone is interested in splitting, PM me and we can split them at the L2B event.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

icemachine wrote:I stopped by Lowe's today but they only had the 5 Gallon strainers in a 12 pack for $25. If anyone is interested in splitting, PM me and we can split them at the L2B event.
I have seen individual strainer bags at byo or winekitz type stores (they're used for fruit in winemaking) you can get a 5 gallon bag for under 10 bucks. I used it for steeping grain in mini mashes.

I think I may make one that hold hops in the kettle and then use a sanitized one in my primary to catch anything else coming out of the kettle. I tried my stainless mesh one and it clogged up very quick.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

phirleh wrote:I think I may make one that hold hops in the kettle and then use a sanitized one in my primary to catch anything else coming out of the kettle. I tried my stainless mesh one and it clogged up very quick.
If you intend to use one in your primary, then the one in the kettle would be redundant.

How do you chill your wort?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

cannondale wrote:
phirleh wrote:I think I may make one that hold hops in the kettle and then use a sanitized one in my primary to catch anything else coming out of the kettle. I tried my stainless mesh one and it clogged up very quick.
If you intend to use one in your primary, then the one in the kettle would be redundant.

True, I was thinking it may catch any sort of break gunk going out of the kettle. Right now I'm just chilling in a sink, no immersion chiller yet.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

phirleh wrote:
cannondale wrote:

True, I was thinking it may catch any sort of break gunk going out of the kettle. Right now I'm just chilling in a sink, no immersion chiller yet.
i thought you were cubing?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

matt7215 wrote:
phirleh wrote:
cannondale wrote: If you intend to use one in your primary, then the one in the kettle would be redundant.

i thought you were cubing?
Didn't get to cube last time, I intended to... but the clogged keggle didn't help, had to pour it into a bucket.