Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO/TBS Barley wines?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

LCBO/TBS Barley wines?

Post by spinrsx »

Does the LCBO/TBS carry any barley wines? Only one I can think of is the Mill Street one that comes out seasonally.. Is there a reason this style gets overlooked by them?

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

There is probably still some Brooklyn Monster Ale and Dieu Du Ciel Solstice d'Hiver in stores, but I don't think there is anything year-round. St. Ambroise Vintage Ale is another seasonal one that presumably will be back at the end of the year. It would be nice if there was something year round but a lot of barleywines are not brewed year round anyway.
Ren

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

spinrsx wrote:Does the LCBO/TBS carry any barley wines? Only one I can think of is the Mill Street one that comes out seasonally.. Is there a reason this style gets overlooked by them?
Brooklyn Monster
Fuller's Vintage
are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
(edit) oh yeah, St.Ambroise and DDC

Maybe next year we'll get Garrison's Ol' Fog Burner

They aren't really big batch brews from the brewers perspective, so they might not get really wide distribution, only seasonal in the winter warmers. Plus the price point seems to be higher (and in the case of Mill Street, a little too high)
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

im shocked that not one member of the OCB has made an attempt at a year round ASA (American Strong Ale, think Arrogant Bastard) or Barley Wine

probably the second most obvious thing were missing behing anything belgian inspired

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:im shocked that not one member of the OCB has made an attempt at a year round ASA (American Strong Ale, think Arrogant Bastard) or Barley Wine

probably the second most obvious thing were missing behing anything belgian inspired
actually the most glaringly obvious thing we are missing is a year locally made IIPA, but we are a lot closer to that then anything belgian inspired or an ASA/BW

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

Granite makes a barley wine, they're in the OCB, but you can't get it at the lcbo

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Mill Street, but it's not very good.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote: im shocked that not one member of the OCB has made an attempt at a year round ASA (American Strong Ale, think Arrogant Bastard)
Would love to see Great Lakes, Spearhead, Flying Monkeys, or Black Oak take a crack at this.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I mentioned it in another thread, but the Great Lakes oak-aged Unicorn Ale was one of the best things I had last year. Hopefully they'll do another.

Black Oak's 10 bitter years and Tree's DIPA are a couple other strong ales that you might want to track down (if they haven't already sold out).

http://www.canadianbrewingawards.com/?p=82
Imperial India Pale Ale
Gold: Ten Bitter Years, Black Oak Brewing Co. (ON)
Silver: Red Racer Imperial, Central City Brewing Co. (BC)
Bronze: Hop Head Double IPA, Tree Brewing Co. (BC)

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Derek, as I see you are in BC, have you had the Imperial Red Racer? Is it brewed often? That is one I am very curious to try one day.
Ren

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Not to hijack, but I was thinking along the same lines today in terms even stouts...I think I can only think of two Ontario stouts (regular) at the LCBO...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:Not to hijack, but I was thinking along the same lines today in terms even stouts...I think I can only think of two Ontario stouts (regular) at the LCBO...
Kind of like barley wines, some stouts (especially imperial ones) are small batch brews that might not be able to service the wide area of the LCBO.
At the LCBO I can only really think of Grand River's Russian Gun, Hockley Valley, Black Creek and at one time John By. There are a lot of great brewery only ones though,
Wellington RIS
Amsterdam Tempest
Nickelbrook Bolshevik
Black Oak Chocolate Cherry

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

jrenihan wrote:Derek, as I see you are in BC, have you had the Imperial Red Racer? Is it brewed often? That is one I am very curious to try one day.
Ren
Unfortunately it's not brewed often, and only available on-tap, cask & growler. My timing never seems to work out, and the only time that I have tried it was a mediocre cask.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

phirleh wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:Not to hijack, but I was thinking along the same lines today in terms even stouts...I think I can only think of two Ontario stouts (regular) at the LCBO...
Kind of like barley wines, some stouts (especially imperial ones) are small batch brews that might not be able to service the wide area of the LCBO.
At the LCBO I can only really think of Grand River's Russian Gun, Hockley Valley, Black Creek and at one time John By. There are a lot of great brewery only ones though,
Wellington RIS
Amsterdam Tempest
Nickelbrook Bolshevik
Black Oak Chocolate Cherry
I get that imperial (and other) stouts are seasonal, but the fact that we really only have hockley and Black Creek as regular Ontario stouts at the LC (given how many awesome stouts our brewers produce), is kind of crappy.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JeffPorter wrote:I get that imperial (and other) stouts are seasonal, but the fact that we really only have hockley and Black Creek as regular Ontario stouts at the LC (given how many awesome stouts our brewers produce), is kind of crappy.
Agreed!