Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

have a flowering hop vine - advice on a first brew

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

studious

have a flowering hop vine - advice on a first brew

Post by studious »

My apartment has a pretty bountiful crop of Goldings hop flowers out back.

I've never brewed but would love to do something with them! Anyone have any suggested recipes and beginner guidance?

zachariaIPA

Post by zachariaIPA »

Check out this podcast on The Brewing Network:

"Wet Hops"

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/847

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

I haven't listened to that brewing network podcast, but I'm sure its full of good advice.

A few things of note if you don't feel like listening to the podcast:

- assume that the hops are between 75-80% water. So 100g of wet hops = 20g of dried hops

- take a wild guess & assume that the hops are in the middle of their AA range. US Goldings are between 4 - 5, so...

- You may want to consider bittering your beer with a hop of known AA & adding your fresh hops are the end of the boil. That way you're guaranteed the bitterness you want rather than praying that the guess of 4.5 AA was correct. You'll get more fresh hop character this way anyhow, as the boil would drive off a lot of delicate flavors/aromas

Have fun! We just did a wet hop beer with Centennials & it turned out awesome! :)

-rudy

studious

Post by studious »

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately just found out the hops are actually ornamental "golden" hops.

I got pretty excited about the possibilities, so I'm going to try something with my dad this fall, who has a great cold cellar.