Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Stowaway, Hamilton

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

The Stowaway, Hamilton

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

https://www.facebook.com/TheStowawayPubEatery

255 James St North. Should be open in a week or two. They used to own the Pinball Cafe in Toronto.

Tap lineup looking like:
- Naughty Neighbor
- Headstock Light Lager
- Stone Hammer Pilsner
- Camerons RPA
- Arkell Best Bitter
- St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
- Silversmith Black Lager
- Augusta Ale
- Lug Tread
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

They're waiting on final ACGO paperwork, afaik.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Seems to be a little recent influx of new places in Hamilton showing up here in BT....might need to do a little road trip one weekend!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

The Stowaway will be open by Friday night. They received their ACGO approval.

Streets

Post by Streets »

It'll be nice to have another craft beer pub on James North for Supercrawl!

But what's this about pinball? I just caught the bug again recently and would love to enjoy a pint while playing a real table again...

http://vimeo.com/60560411

The video pinball is cool, but I need some authentic plunger action!

http://vimeo.com/60804624

Tough to play while holding an ipad ;)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Streets wrote:But what's this about pinball? I just caught the bug again recently and would love to enjoy a pint while playing a real table again...
They've got one machine in there already. I'm not sure if they're going to put another one in yet.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

A welcome addition to James. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Looking forward to a Team Hamilton meet up here!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Stopped by with Streets and Electroluminescent hoping for a quick pint of RPA, but they were out. Grabbed a Naughty Neighbour instead which I can't complain about. They currently have a Fish Friday deal of a sizeable order of Fish & Chip and a pint for $15 - which most of us took advantage of!

Dining room in the front. A good size bar/stage area in the back - which I would like to see expanded with a few more pinball/other arcade games. We had some fun playing with their "Pin Bot" pinball machine.

They're getting off to a bit of a rocky start but I enjoyed my visit and will return again. The Fish and Chips were good (better than The Ship) but I look forward to trying the other menu items I was more intrigued by, such as the Lamb Shanks.

I would like to see some different options in the tap listing, as it doesn't offer anything you can't find elsewhere, but it gets the job done. From memory it was: St Amby Oatmeal, Welly Arkell, NB Naughty Neighbour, NB Headstock Light, Beau's Lug Tread, KBC Augusta Ale, Stonehammer Pils, Mill Street Tankhouse & Organic, and an empty tap that was RPA. No idea how much that list will rotate.

Service was pretty good as well. I wish them luck and hope to be a semi-regular.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Cale wrote:Stopped by with Streets and Electroluminescent hoping for a quick pint of RPA, but they were out. Grabbed a Naughty Neighbour instead which I can't complain about. They currently have a Fish Friday deal of a sizeable order of Fish & Chip and a pint for $15 - which most of us took advantage of!

I would like to see some different options in the tap listing, as it doesn't offer anything you can't find elsewhere, but it gets the job done. From memory it was: St Amby Oatmeal, Welly Arkell, NB Naughty Neighbour, NB Headstock Light, Beau's Lug Tread, KBC Augusta Ale, Stonehammer Pils, Mill Street Tankhouse & Organic, and an empty tap that was RPA. No idea how much that list will rotate.

Service was pretty good as well. I wish them luck and hope to be a semi-regular.
I met up with my wife after work yesterday, at The Stowaway. It wasn't busy and I had a quick chat with owner Jason. He said the RPA was the most popular tap and Cameron's is finding the same thing. He could not get more - - it's being kegged. I agree with Cale that the tap list is not adventurous, which hopefully will change over time.

One great thing at Stowaway is the small and very good selection of Ontario wines. When you're with folks who aren't into beer, it's nice to have an option for them.

All in all, Stowaway is a fine new addition to Hamilton and the James N. neighbourhood.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Cale wrote:The Fish and Chips were good (better than The Ship)

Heretic!!!!!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:They used to own the Pinball Cafe in Toronto.
- shut down, which is their own fault, but at the same time the reasons surrounding the forced closure (permits, local moratorium) had zero to do with supporting legitimate growth of small businesses - which are the very lifeblood of building a great, interesting city.

Torontarded. Council can't see too well with its head up its arse.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tried to go this afternoon with Matt, and was surprised that, especially on St. Patrick's day, this place is not open until 5. Seriously! I wanted to spend my money there today!

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I warned about the 5pm opening in the other thread! But yeah it's pretty stupid to open at anything later than noon-3 on St Paddy's.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

They've recently added two 60-in-1 table top arcade machines. I was really hoping they'd bring in some table top machines as they're perfect in a bar setting. Had a blast with some Xevious and 2-player Tetris.

The beer list still isn't anything crazy, but being able to sit in extremely comfortable leather chairs while playing a variety of arcade games for 25 cents a pop easily makes this one of my favourite bars in the city.

Service was exceptionally friendly. It's a real shame this place isn't doing better (we were the only customers from 5:30-7 today)

$4 pints tomorrow night - anyone in?