Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Steam Whistle no longer available at Rogers Centre

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Last time I was at ACC there were rumours of Creemore, but most stands had Canadian, Coors Light and maybe Rickards Red. They did have a "Rickards Brewhouse" but it was just a shiny pony and got shut down after a year or so
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

icemachine wrote:Last time I was at ACC there were rumours of Creemore, but most stands had Canadian, Coors Light and maybe Rickards Red. They did have a "Rickards Brewhouse" but it was just a shiny pony and got shut down after a year or so
The brewery at the ACC is the Molson pilot brewery. They previously brewed Rickard's products for sale at the ACC (about 8 years ago), but decided to just truck in Rickards beer and use the brewery to test new recipes, ingredients and processing aids. None of the beer made there is sold there.

I brewed there for a summer between program years at Niagara College.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Funny how many people here get their back up about big corporate multinationals controlling the beer industry, but then happily spend money with corporate multinational entertainment companies to watch a game.

Really, if you like a sport that much and enjoy a good beer, why not go to a local league game and smuggle in a growler. Or better yet, go out and play and then enjoy some good pints afterwards.

If you waste your money on any sports-entertainment industry amusement, you should not be expecting anything better. Do you go to Mc Donalds and expect good food?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Nevermind.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Tapsucker wrote:Funny how many people here get their back up about big corporate multinationals controlling the beer industry, but then happily spend money with corporate multinational entertainment companies to watch a game.

Really, if you like a sport that much and enjoy a good beer, why not go to a local league game and smuggle in a growler. Or better yet, go out and play and then enjoy some good pints afterwards.

If you waste your money on any sports-entertainment industry amusement, you should not be expecting anything better. Do you go to Mc Donalds and expect good food?
Might as well ride horses, build our own houses, grow our own food etc etc.

We can play the "let's draw an arbitrary line about what's right" game all day.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2014/03/27/gr ... -for-2014/

Cincinnati with one of the better (best?) beer selections available in any ball park currently...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

liamt07 wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Funny how many people here get their back up about big corporate multinationals controlling the beer industry, but then happily spend money with corporate multinational entertainment companies to watch a game.

Might as well ride horses, build our own houses, grow our own food etc etc.

We can play the "let's draw an arbitrary line about what's right" game all day.
heheh, I thought that would get a rise, but in retrospect I should have read my post carefully before hitting send. I wasn't trying to insist on a right or wrong thing. I just think it's interesting that I see so many pro-sports fans locked into the same headspace as people they used to laugh at or look down on for being obsessively brand loyal to their macro beer brands.

For instance, a franchisee of a multinational corporation, say the NHL hires a bunch of people to play hockey from the open international marketplace and suddenly all the local consumers are fans and feel like this is theirs, and have all this brand loyalty to 'their team' and their (ahem) local players.

Reads a lot like some of the debates I have seen here when a favourite brewery is acquired by an industry giant and all sorts of fretting occurs over the loss of independence and presumably authenticity.

It's just funny to me, and a little sad.

However, it's not unsurprising at all that all you might find at some of these sports venues is macro beer. For most of the life of the sports industry each venue has been closely tied to one big corporate sponsor for beer and pop in exclusive marketing deals. Also, I recall, the lines were blurred for years between the Montreal Canadians and Molson's namesake swill.

I'm sure as craft brewers get bigger and have deeper marketing budgets, some of this will change. Probably, as usual, in the US first.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

rejtable wrote:Nevermind.
ImageGoodalbum!
In Beerum Veritas

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

This just in from the Buffalo Bisons:

Craft Beers Featured at Bisons fridaynightbash!® Happy Hour

The craft beer revolution has taken hold of beer drinkers throughout the country and for the third straight year, Bisons fans can taste many of the unique local flavors at the ballpark during the fridaynightbash!® Happy Hour series. This year, the selection of beers has been expanded to include many great flavors from the Hamburg Brewing Company.

Starting Friday, May 2, the Coca-Cola Field gates will open at 5:00 p.m. so you can enjoy 14oz. craft beers for only $3 from 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. The lineup of craft beers will include Buffalo Lager, Aviator Red, 716 Kolsch, Rusty Chain Vienna Lager from Flying Bison, Small Town Saison and an Oatmeal Stout from Hamburg Brewing Company, Vanilla Porter and RBI Red from Rohrbach, Flower Power IPA from Ithaca Brewing Co. and Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes, just to name a few.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Imagine a busload of Bartowellers heading over for a Bisons game on a Friday...ha, I know I plan to hop over for a game or two this year and pick up some brews in town.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I'm going to Philly that weekend (May 2), the tentative plan was to stay in Rochester on the Friday, but the Bisons game could work for us. Planning on going to the Phillies-Jays game on the Monday. The rest of the weekend will consist of beer and food.
"There's always money in the banana stand."