Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

GSU Pub - University of Toronto

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

GSU Pub - University of Toronto

Post by Cass »

I thought I'd show some love for the GSU (Graduate Students Union) Pub on Bancroft Ave. on the University of Toronto campus downtown.

I stopped in yesterday and was very happy to see it still going strong - I used to go there regularly as a student at UofT in the 90s. It hasn't changed much over time - a cozy spot and the bartender is still same guy from back in the 90s which is amazing. A smattering of random tables and chairs and a small bar, plus a pool table and a front patio. They used to bring in local takeout pizza that you could buy by the slice, but no longer. Just drinks in a comfortable, no frills environment. Good memories of my student days and nice to be back.

About 5-6 taps and dirt cheap - $6.75/pint all in. They had a few GLB and Spearhead on tap including GLB Blonde & Red Leaf and Spearhead Session Ale. Back in the day I remember the beer lineup was actually quite interesting for the Annex area and enjoyed many Trafalgars back then (when they were actually ok, at least it seemed that way).

I believe it's meant for students & faculty, but I'm pretty sure anyone can go. Not open on the weekends, but a great place to stop in if you find yourself around campus.
Attachments
IMG_8965.jpeg
IMG_8966.jpeg
IMG_8968.jpeg
IMG_8969.jpeg

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Funny that this never came up in the thread for happy hour deals. I should have remembered. :o

I was never a U of T student (OCA instead), but an alumni friend introduced me to this place years ago and I still visit regularly. Nobody has ever asked me for my credentials. I will say, that based on my experience 40 years back with the OCA student union pub, (well behaved) outsiders were welcomed. I would often work there (before smartserve) and the tips from outsiders was very welcome to a student. When I go to the GSU, I always make a point to tip generously.

Also, the patio is pretty nice on warm nights as it doesn't front a busy street with exhaust fumes and commotion.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.