Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

not a cask like you enjoyed jimmay, but Smashbomb nonetheless at its Waterloo debut at the Kickoff! Well done to the Monkeys once again!!!! :D

Hope there is some left of each (SBIPA and MBW) at Volo as we can make it til thursday.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

hopocalypse, hopocalypse, and more hopocalypse. i never get tired of this stuff.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Last night, it was:

Brooklyn Lager
Bells Oberon
Bells Amber
Bells Pale Ale
Bells Two Hearted
Bells Porter
Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Bells Special Double Cream Stout
Bells Consecrator Doppelbock
Brooklyn Local 1
Brooklyn Local 2
Central City Red Racer IPA

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

markaberrant wrote:Last night, it was:

Brooklyn Lager
Bells Oberon
Bells Amber
Bells Pale Ale
Bells Two Hearted
Bells Porter
Bells Kalamazoo Stout
Bells Special Double Cream Stout
Bells Consecrator Doppelbock
Brooklyn Local 1
Brooklyn Local 2
Central City Red Racer IPA
That's one hell of a night. What did you think of the Porter and the Double Cream Stout? I found a very off-putting taste in both and could not even finish the bottle in either case. The Kalamazoo and Two Hearted are excellent though!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:That's one hell of a night. What did you think of the Porter and the Double Cream Stout? I found a very off-putting taste in both and could not even finish the bottle in either case. The Kalamazoo and Two Hearted are excellent though!
I have always loved the Kalamazoo and fresh Two Hearted. I had never tried the Porter or Double Cream before last night. I thought they were both good in their own right, and the Double Cream is very unique and complex (I got a lot of soy sauce and cherries), but I far prefer the Kalamazoo.

The Brooklyn 2 was by far the worst beer of the night. I've tried it before, and it is just a really lame dark belgian. My comments on the flavour were "missing in action."

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Just bought some:

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel

Wychcraft

Saranac Pale Ale.

I wasn' t gonna get the Saranac but I couldn't find any of the Great Lakes Pumpkin.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Just finished a Stone Arrogant Bastard and I am about to pour a Pelican Tsunami Stout...

Edit: Finished things off with a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin. Too much spice in this one for my liking...
Last edited by TheSevenDuffs on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bavaria

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

tried the wychcraft tonight. not horrible, but does not warrant another purchase for me. Definitely picked up some of the diacetyl others have mentioned. Having a fresh 10 Bitter Years now. Great Stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:The Brooklyn 2 was by far the worst beer of the night. I've tried it before, and it is just a really lame dark belgian. My comments on the flavour were "missing in action."
Yeah Radek Kliber also mentioned the Local 2 kinda sucked. Local 1 was great IMO.

That's it for me, not going to buy the Local 2!! (But if I ever see a Black Ops... just maybe. It's bloody expensive because it's slightly rare.)
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Timmy wrote:Just bought some:

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel

Wychcraft

Saranac Pale Ale.

I wasn' t gonna get the Saranac but I couldn't find any of the Great Lakes Pumpkin.
Is this near you?

74. ST. CATHARINES 420 VANSICKLE ROAD
VANSICKLE & FOURTH (905)
685-8000 Sep 22, 2010 45

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Karl Strauss Belgian Trippel. At my desk, from a growler brought back from the brewpub. Very reminiscent of Uni LFDM, but even sweeter. I could see this becoming quite cloying beyond a half pint. I like it though, quite aromatic with plenty of yeast derived spiciness.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Last night:

10 Bitter Years
Bells Hopslam
Hannenberg Pils
Pils Urquell
Brewdog Hardcore IPA
Brewdog Punk IPA
Brewdog 5 am Saint
Brewdog Trashy Blonde
Brewdog Sink the Bismark
Brewdog Tactial Neuclear Penguin
Brewdog Tokyo

Phhhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeewww
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Last night at the Victory (5oz samples and a few half pints too)
Beau's - Gose, Festivale (Cask) and Sticke
Nickle Brook - Marzen, Maple Porter, Trillium Pale (Cask) Unique Kriek (Cask)

The Gose really was the highlight but the Sticke was a close second and the Trillium and Marzen were very drinkable as well.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Last night:

Bells Hopslam

I had a Hopslam about 2 months ago and found that it was well past its prime. I can't imagine what yours would have tasted like given that it is about 9-10 months old at this point.

What did you think?