Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Unibroue Mix Pack?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Manul wrote:I have to say.. if anything happened to Upper Canada brands after Sleeman took over it was only watering down. I distinctly remember the outstanding taste of Upper Canada Lager and Rebellion Lager 7-8 years ago. The ones you can find in stores right now have nothing in common with the old versions.
True enough. But keep in mind, when Sleeman bought Upper Canada, the Toronto brewery was very quickly closed, staff let go etc.. and brewing of a reduced number of labels was moved to Guelph. They may have even moved brewing of Upper Canada elsewhere by now, I'm not sure.

From what I've read so far, the Unibroue Brewery will remain in operation with the same Brewmaster and likely the same employees - including one of the former owners. In the short term at least, nothing is likely to change. Unibroue is a very successful and profitable venture with a tremendous presense in the U.S. Sleeman is looking to leverage off that success and add to it. Upper Canada was in no where near the kind of financial shape Unibroue is in, U.C. was not overly successful outside of the Ontario market and wasn't a profitable operation. Sleeman didn't purchase it because of it's success, it was purchased to eliminate competition, pure and simple. Now longer term - who knows.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Manul wrote:I have to say.. if anything happened to Upper Canada brands after Sleeman took over it was only watering down. I distinctly remember the outstanding taste of Upper Canada Lager and Rebellion Lager 7-8 years ago. The ones you can find in stores right now have nothing in common with the old versions.
Haven't kept up with UC much to be honest. Used to buy several varieties, and they could be real good or a total surprise!

But all I have to say is, if John Sleeman mucks around with Unibroue too much, me and my tastebuds are walkin'. There will always be others.
In Beerum Veritas

al

Post by al »

Hi all

I just tried to call Unibroue Ontario. The message gave a new number "1 800 BOTTLES. So I called and got Sleemans reception. Even though I kenw this was coming it was wierd to have it actually hear the lady say Sleemans.
Left a message again asking for an update on the 12 pack

Al

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

burgermeister wrote:
Manul wrote:...Upper Canada was in no where near the kind of financial shape Unibroue is in, U.C. was not overly successful outside of the Ontario market and wasn't a profitable operation. Sleeman didn't purchase it because of it's success, it was purchased to eliminate competition, pure and simple. Now longer term - who knows.
I can't imagine Sleeman thinking of Unibroue 'competing' on much common ground, and hope he sees it that way.
His operating philosophy (GMOs, non-organic, bland mass-market tastes) don't in any way seem to line up with Maudite, Trois Pistoles, or many other distinct niche-market Unibroue beers. I don't get it.
I don't want to prejudgingly "bash" someone who is essentially a business man doing his job well, I simply value the excellent Quebec beer culture.
In Beerum Veritas

al

Post by al »

Hi All

I'm still trying to find out more about this twelve pack. To date no call backs, so I called 1 800 BOTTLES again and this time went to customer service. The lady I spoke with told me that the Twelve pack is coming out, as she had been passing out info flyers on it. But she did not know the date. She said she will call me back this afternoon with the date. So once again I wait.

Al

al

Post by al »

Hi

I called again today. ( I have made this my own little battle :D ). First I was apologized to for them not getting back to me and was promised a quick call back. With in an hour I had a call that the twelve pack is on there inventory list and that no have been sold. She will forward my request to an individual who is on vacation and will be returning tomorrow. She said I should have more information in 2 or 3 days.

Al

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Wow, this is a case study in getting blown off with bureaucratic babble-eeze. I guess the obvious question is; Why doesn't she just answer your question?

Publican

Post by Publican »

Belgian wrote:
burgermeister wrote:
Manul wrote:...Upper Canada was in no where near the kind of financial shape Unibroue is in, U.C. was not overly successful outside of the Ontario market and wasn't a profitable operation. Sleeman didn't purchase it because of it's success, it was purchased to eliminate competition, pure and simple. Now longer term - who knows.
I can't imagine Sleeman thinking of Unibroue 'competing' on much common ground, and hope he sees it that way.
His operating philosophy (GMOs, non-organic, bland mass-market tastes) don't in any way seem to line up with Maudite, Trois Pistoles, or many other distinct niche-market Unibroue beers. I don't get it.
I don't want to prejudgingly "bash" someone who is essentially a business man doing his job well, I simply value the excellent Quebec beer culture.
You may want to "bash" Sleeman's if they ever decide to close Unibroue. Thier buying up of other breweries is similar to what E.P Taylor did after Prohibition!!

al

Post by al »

Got a call from sleemans. The Twelve pack is suppose to be in beer stores today.

Yeah!!

Al

al

Post by al »

Just got home and called the beer store in Oshawa and Ajax, suprise suprise, the new twelve pack is not on their system. They still have the Ephemere 8 pack on their system. Let me know if anyone sees it in Toronto. I guess tomorrow I call Sleemans again.

Al

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

any news?

al

Post by al »

Hi

I did not call Sleemans. I did call the beer store customer service and learned that the 12-pack Unibroue collection is in their system and is being distributed to stores. So it should start showing up in stores any day.

That’s all for know.

Al

Ardon

Post by Ardon »

It is not the Collection listed on the main page of Unibroue's homepage. It is the Ephemère Collection.

al

Post by al »

Ardon. I am unsure where you got your information but it is incorrect.
The 12 pack Unibroue collection is not the 8 pack Ephemère Collection. Having spoken to a Sleeman's rep., a beer store rep., a manager of the beer store I went to yesterday who checked his computer and showed me the promotional material he had recieved about the 12 pack, I can assure you the it is the 12 pack collection on the Unibroue home page.

Thanks
Al

mds

Post by mds »

Great news, now I just have to find a store that carries it, as I'm sure not all of them will.
al wrote:Ardon. I am unsure where you got your information but it is incorrect.
The 12 pack Unibroue collection is not the 8 pack Ephemère Collection. Having spoken to a Sleeman's rep., a beer store rep., a manager of the beer store I went to yesterday who checked his computer and showed me the promotional material he had recieved about the 12 pack, I can assure you the it is the 12 pack collection on the Unibroue home page.

Thanks
Al