Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam advertises

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

marcia ritz

Post by marcia ritz »

I think that Amsterdam has hired a bunch of impotent 18 year olds to render their newest Ad campaign. Perhaps some adults might have an ounce of insight.

I will never drink Amsterdam again.

Sincerely,
Marcia Ritz

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gee, Marcia. This must have you REALLY upset, since you posted this same message to two other threads that are completely unrelated.

Seriously, though - I was considering posting something about this myself after seeing one of their new transit shelter ads the other day. For those who haven't seen it, it has the tagline "Pure Amsterdam" with a photo of a scantily clad woman in a window display, standing next to a table with a bottle of Amsterdam on it.

I presume that it's supposed look like a shot from the namesake city's red light district. But it just looks tacky and cheezy to me. Not quite as offensive as that already infamous Bavaria TV spot, but pretty close.

Greg

Publican

Post by Publican »

Next real Amsterdamn ad will be thier beer on a table in a "coffehouse"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2003-05-25 09:05 ]</font>

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Personally the clear bottles was where I started taking them a bit less seriously. Maybe that's just me.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-05-26 10:35, JerCraigs wrote:
Personally the clear bottles was where I started taking them a bit less seriously. Maybe that's just me.
I think for me, it was when they dumbed down their Natural Blonde from a pleasant (if unremarkable) summer patio beer to the piss-poor macro-wannabe that it has become.

I still like their Nut Brown on occassion, and a couple of their speciality/seasonal beers are OK, like the Frambroise and Kerstmis. But given their new marketing push - trendy clear bottles, sexist advertising, etc. - I fully expect those brews to be dumbed down as well, or even discontinued entirely.

Sad to see another Toronto micro going over to the dark side. Ah well, at least we have Mill Street!

Greg